Newbie Question

dwhansen777

Newbie Question

Post by dwhansen777 »

My current campaign is N/I.

I am trying to understand the interaction between the regional alert value ( Advent strength) and the regional vigilance value (Advent alarm rate). I have the mod that shows the values in the Geoscape screen.

I've read the info articles from the UFOpaedia, but still have the following questions:

1."If a region's Vigilance value exceeds its Alert value, then Advent will try to bring additional troops into the region."

*so...if Alert (strength) is 3 and the Vigilance is at 4...Advent will start trying to bring more strength into the region.
*if the Vigilance value continues to climb in the region...4...7...11...etc...does that mean that there is a greater chance the Alert will
increase from 3 to 4?
*is Alert is at 3 and vigilance at 2...does this situation lead to Advent strength falling back to 2 at some point?

2."Regional Vigilance decays automatically by one point every 7 days, so if a region is empty of any XCOM activity it will eventually return to
a less alarmed state."

*XCOM activity...tactical activity in the region only?...or does that also include resistance personnel in the haven on any activity except
hiding?
*so...if Vigilance is at 11...it's going to be 8 weeks or so before I see the region "cool down" and strength decrease if I avoid all activity?

3. Regarding Advent Full Retaliation...

*" minimum required alert level to trigger is 4...and minimum rebels on duty is 5 (hiding rebels are not counted)."
*so...ignoring the faceless factor...if the region's alert is 4 or greater...no full retaliation will occur if I have 4 or less resistance members
on I/S/R...is that assumption correct?...even if the alert level continues to climb to 5/6/7 etc. no full retal will occur?

I understand the importance of having multiple regions in which to operate tactically so as to minimize regional Alert increases (by shiftying activity focus). But from the above it looks like it takes a long time to "cool down" a region.

Any advice to help me with the haven management aspect of LW2?

TXS
8wayz

Re: Newbie Question

Post by 8wayz »

To diffuse vigilance you will need to stop doing missions there and limit the number of resistance agents working in the region.

A good option is just to have 4 rebels on recruit, to improve your personnel there, and leave the rest on hiding. This way you will detect very few missions and generate almost no vigilance.

If vigilance drops bellow strength, this will mark the region as calmed down. However, to actually decrease the strength of the region, Advent will need a reason to move troops out of there. So make sure to start doing missions in one of the neighbouring regions, to raise vigilance over there.

Even if you only have 4 rebels working in a region and you trying to calm things down, I would still advise to do Jailbreaks and Smash and Grab missions over there, since they will be pretty straightforward and will give you good rewards.

Aim to liberate around two regions and have them focus on supplies. This will give you breathing room to pick your missions in the new regions and focus on equipping your squads with better gear.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

1) By default, ADVENT tries to spread their legions out so that strength = vigilance in all regions. Legions can only move to adjacent regions, and each region can only receive one at a time, so it takes a while. Some situations (exposed HQ, Blacksite, etc) will cause ADVENT to want to station even more legions in a particular legion, above the normal vigilance.

In practice, ADVENT will never have enough legions to do all the things that it wants. Regions that have more legions than the local vigilance warrants will eventually lose them because their neighbors will keep pestering them for help.

It's important to understand that vigilance attracts ADVENT strength, but doesn't create it. New legions are created every week or so (the exact time depends on difficultly) by a UFO. Each of these UFOs creates 2 new legions, one in the place it landed, and one in an adjacent region. If ADVENT is being beaten very badly (global vigilance is 20 points greater than global strength), they also get a bonus super UFO every 21 days that creates 4 new legions. It's possible to find and destroy these UFOs via special missions, and doing this prevents the new legions from spawning. You will never intercept all or even most, so think of it as a bonus, not a thing that you have to do.

2) That quote is slightly outdated, in that the burnoff period now scales with the number of non-hiding rebels active in the region. The burnoff happens at the prescribed time, no matter what (the quote is misleading). Keep in mind that vigilance slows down the Avatar project, so unless you have a specific plan, more vigilance is better.

3) This is completely outdated by 1.3. Retaliations now use a completely different system. The old threshold system is gone. Now, each rebel doing a non-hiding job anywhere on the globe has a chance of adding a "retal point" to a hidden "bucket" every day. When that bucket gets filled, you get a retaliation and the bucket is emptied. Retals are weighted to be more likely in regions with lots of rebel activity, but there's no guarantee.

The new system is much harder to game and is better, IMO.

4) I gave a pretty detailed breakdown of how I manage different regions, depending on local variables. Look for it in this page.
dwhansen777

Post by dwhansen777 »

Thanks!