Tactic vs SuperHeavy MECS

WanWhiteWolf

Tactic vs SuperHeavy MECS

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

I feel the mid-late game, my biggest problem in "casual" missions is the Supperheavy MEC (black one)

I am not referring here to my A team encountering a MEC on a supply raid or a base assault. I am referring here to your decent/good gear 5-6 people SGT - MAJ team doing a Jailbreak / Smash & Grab ...etc.

Hacking one means having a sick hacker + building all your team around that with redscreen / upg. FLASHbangs for + hacking ..etc. Even then,it's not 100%.

I have a gunner with bluescreen amo on every team, but even he cannot deal with that. A chain-shot / rapid fire takes half of its HP - and that that is if both hit land and no graze. It starts with a ton of armor and any attempt to remove armor is basically giving 1 armor back. Since most options in this game give you 2 -3 armor removal -> you need to spend 3 guys only for removing it's armor. Afterwards you need 2 full turns to hit that thing.

I tried using EMP grenade but it seems the % to disable is pretty low.

In vanila bluescreen mods gave you 50% damage to robots so that was a good deal to have. Now they only give you +3, which makes armor penetration simply better overall as most Robots will have more than 3 armor when you shoot them. So you only lose 1 damage but gain 2 armor penetration to all other enemy types.

So what strategy do you use against them?
Doctor Sticks

Re: Tactic vs SuperHeavy MECS

Post by Doctor Sticks »

If available, the Frost Grenade is an effective countermeasure, giving you an extra turn.

Shredder ammo on a fast-firing soldier should bring the armor down fast.

Haywire to stun, though that is sadly unreliable (even less so if you want to take it over).

or, if you don't mind giving up Boosted Cores, Bluescreen bombs will allow flashbangs to disorient them, which prevent the Missile attack and craps on their aim.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I don't consider Super Heavies mid-game but late-game. By that time, every squad I field needs to have some answer to high armor high health enemies, even for Ex Light.

Usually I field my teams with one or more of these:

- Crit-stacked Kubikiri Sharpshooter: By far the most efficient solution to lots of problems but you can get unlucky.
- Sapper Grenadier with HEAT and at least two plasma grenades: Command if necessary. My usual loadout is 2xPlasma, 3xIncendiary.
- Crit Ranger: Hopefully with Rapid-Fire already. You might need to shred first.
- Cooldown Gunner with Shredder, Chain Shot and Cyclic Fire.
- Close Encounter Assaults: can get the kill if close enough but you probably need to shred first. Lightning Reflexes against its overwatch.
- Psi soldiers with Stasis: buys you an extra turn.
- Bait Micromissiles with an Incoming!, just make sure it can't flank you first or someone's gonna get mauled.
Last edited by Dwarfling on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

Assault with Arc Pulser,
Grenadier with Bluescreen Bombs,
Ranger with Redscreen Rounds, or Chain Shot Gunner wiith Redscreen Rounds

is my way to try and deal with SuperHeavy MECs. If I remember correctly, assuming all of their abilities hit, you can confer - 100 Hack Defense to them. If the Ranger also has Lightning Hands and the Rapid Fire ability, you can attempt to go for -150 Hack Defense. But this is a somewhat lucky case.

But of course, shredding and gunning down these MECs is more satisfying and straightforward.
Last edited by IslamDunk on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
IslamDunk

Post by IslamDunk »

Dwarfling wrote: - Crit-stacked Kubikiri Sharpshooter: By far the most efficient solution to lots of problems but you can get unlucky.
That's a good idea! With an Officer's Get Some, you also gain boosted critical chance.