XCOM 2 expansion + Long War 2: (11/7/17 UPDATE: See announcement thread)

hasan

Re: XCOM 2 expansion + Long War 2: Nothing to announce

Post by hasan »

11 classes ! hope they add more than 8 players

and add at least 11 maps too
JackDT

Post by JackDT »

I hope they integrate it and I hope 2k or Firaxis keeps sending checks to the Long War team for their efforts!
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

JackDT wrote:I hope they integrate it and I hope 2k or Firaxis keeps sending checks to the Long War team for their efforts!
Indeed. But I'd go beyond hope and say that I've been enjoying lw2 so much that I may require such before I'm willing to buy the expansion.
Doctor Sticks

Post by Doctor Sticks »

Given that Chosen adds quite a lot, including new mechanics, it is unlikely that there will be LW version right away.
That said, given that LW has support from Firaxis, I cannot imagine this expansion not being integrated eventually. But it might take more than one patch to get the balancing right.

I just hope these Chosen don't end up tougher than Avatars, since those are supposed to be the Elders themselves, with shiny new bodies and such.
JackDT

Post by JackDT »

https://www.gamespot.com/e3/live/

Skip to 2 hour 28 minutes.

Jake Solomon: "We haven't talk to the Long War guys yet, but it's on my list of things to do."

Hmn....!!!

Sounds like nothing has been sorted out yet but it might be later.

Edit: They changed that link to point to a different video, but it's the E3 GameSpot video interview with Jake Solomon. Should show up on youtube eventually I would guess.
Maebalzurakin

Post by Maebalzurakin »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/14/ ... the-chosen

Best article I have found. Lots of info. Some cool new features, I really like what they are doing with the will stat and they are bringing back the idea of fatigue in that soldiers will need to skip missions to be rested. However, that may be hard to integrate into LW2 since my soldiers are already skipping many missions.

I am not a fan of 'bondmates'. While I have not seen it in action, from the sound of it, I think I like the squad synergy with the leaders much better than this idea. Squads are pretty easy to keep track of in LW2. I can't imagine how I am going to remember 20 different combinations of 'bondmates'.

Also the name implies to me that they are sharing a bunk together. Its a very odd terminology to me. Not sure why they would use it and not just say 'friends'.
Doctor Sticks

Post by Doctor Sticks »

Firaxis adding the fatigue system is basically them acknowledging that LW way is better. Sending the same soldiers out over and over again leads to very small rosters, and a single squadwipe means campaign = RIP.

It does seem redundant in LW though, since we already have infiltration, curious to see how PI adapts this.
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

Good read, thanks!
With War of the Chosen installed, you’ll be notified that certain facilities are guarded by a Ruler; they won’t come after you until you’ve voluntarily attacked their hideout at the time of your choosing. However, once you’ve engaged them if they escape they’re free to pop up in any other mission as normal (unless that mission is also invaded by a Chosen)
Do you think this will be enough to get people to actually install the Alien Hunters Moneygrabbing again? I really like it, but I know some people like to remove it completely.

Also, the changes to the AWC seem to be almost exactly like what LW2 is doing. It must feel so fantastic having your work made redundant
Maebalzurakin wrote:Best article I have found. Lots of info. Some cool new features, I really like what they are doing with the will stat and they are bringing back the idea of fatigue in that soldiers will need to skip missions to be rested. However, that may be hard to integrate into LW2 since my soldiers are already skipping many missions.
Yeah I'm thinking if LW2 just implements the mechanic as is, I might have to wait 4-5 missions to use my alpha squad again. Could either be really awesome or really tedious depending on how it's implemented.
Maebalzurakin wrote:I am not a fan of 'bondmates'. While I have not seen it in action, from the sound of it, I think I like the squad synergy with the leaders much better than this idea. Squads are pretty easy to keep track of in LW2. I can't imagine how I am going to remember 20 different combinations of 'bondmates'.
I think that will be a problem, although Firaxis could easily adapt the UI to show soldiers who have bondmates in the soldier select UI when deploying. That said, I think the biggest problem here will be balance. If LW2 implements the buddy system, AND the leadership system, either soldiers could potentially get really overpowered, or buddying up and squad leading could be outright required to even have a chance. Either way, it will need fine tunung.
Maebalzurakin wrote:Also the name implies to me that they are sharing a bunk together. Its a very odd terminology to me. Not sure why they would use it and not just say 'friends'.
They are friends.....with benefits :P I doubt we will see anything like Jann and Largo from Valkyria Chronicles
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

I really hope we don't have to make a decision- either play expansion OR LW2. That would suck. LW1 and LW2 make the base games 3x as good.
I'm very happy that 2k is releasing an expansion, but they seriously need to coordinate with the LW crew, whenever and wherever possible.
orion_winterfire

infidel901 wrote:I really hope we don't have to make a decision- either play expansion OR LW2. That would suck. LW1 and LW2 make the base games 3x as good.
I'm very happy that 2k is releasing an expansion, but they seriously need to coordinate with the LW crew, whenever and wherever possible.
Indeed. Frankly, I'm disappointed that they didn't reach out to PI much sooner, especially considering the relationship at xcom2 launch.
From what I've read, it looks to my untrained eyes like there will be multiple mechanics that just plain won't work with lw2.
I hate to say it, but I'm really leaning toward just sticking with lw2 and skipping the expansion altogether.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

orion_winterfire wrote:I hate to say it, but I'm really leaning toward just sticking with lw2 and skipping the expansion altogether.
orion_winterfire

Dwarfling wrote:
orion_winterfire wrote:I hate to say it, but I'm really leaning toward just sticking with lw2 and skipping the expansion altogether.
If/when they play nicely together, both would be great. In a game notorious for bugginess, and with the two having overlapping mechanics, I'm not holding my breath.
And switching back and forth? Oh gods, just thinking about the potential problems with other mods makes me feel a tiny bit sick.
FireWolf

Post by FireWolf »

The thing is, that with all the Pavonis' history of not disclosing anything because of a NDA it has got a meaning of itself. So, by not disclosing anything now because of the NDA they acually broke the NDA :D
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

orion_winterfire wrote: I hate to say it, but I'm really leaning toward just sticking with lw2 and skipping the expansion altogether.
Even if they aren't compatible at the expansion's launch, I'm reasonably certain they will be made compatible eventually. Might be a year or so later (like with LW2's official launch roughly a year after XCOM2) but I can wait that long. Heck, I prolly won't even be done with LW2 as it is by then anyway :P
FireWolf wrote:The thing is, that with all the Pavonis' history of not disclosing anything because of a NDA it has got a meaning of itself. So, by not disclosing anything now because of the NDA they acually broke the NDA :D
I get what you're saying here, but be careful about getting yourself too excited with the assumptions you make. If you assume that "we have nothing disclose at this time" means that "we secretly have something to disclose, but we can't because NDA" then you'll be doubly disappointed when the time comes and it turns out there's actually nothing to disclose.
orion_winterfire

Steve-O wrote:
orion_winterfire wrote: I hate to say it, but I'm really leaning toward just sticking with lw2 and skipping the expansion altogether.
Even if they aren't compatible at the expansion's launch, I'm reasonably certain they will be made compatible eventually. Might be a year or so later (like with LW2's official launch roughly a year after XCOM2) but I can wait that long. Heck, I prolly won't even be done with LW2 as it is by then anyway :P
Compatable-ish, anyway (lol). And you're right of course. I'm still in September of my 1st lw game, and have many real months of entertainment ahead, regardless of what happens with the expansion.
I'm just a little disappointed that the expansion wasn't designed to plug right into lw2, and just a bit nervous about what a wotc/lw2 hybrid would be like.
azarga

Post by azarga »

Until (if ever) the expansion gets LW2 support, I'm not interested.

I was somewhat disappointed by vanilla Xcom2, it's the mods and mainly LW2 that make it a great game for me.

But I don't mind waiting a few years, I've got other things to do other than getting hyped or frustrated over videogames :)
orion_winterfire

azarga wrote:Until (if ever) the expansion gets LW2 support, I'm not interested.

I was somewhat disappointed by vanilla Xcom2, it's the mods and mainly LW2 that make it a great game for me.

But I don't mind waiting a few years, I've got other things to do other than getting hyped or frustrated over videogames :)
My sincerest condolences.
azarga

Post by azarga »

orion_winterfire wrote: My sincerest condolences.
I'm fine, but thank you anyway :D
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Doctor Sticks wrote: I just hope these Chosen don't end up tougher than Avatars, since those are supposed to be the Elders themselves, with shiny new bodies and such.
I think it's fine if they do. It's not like the Elders are practiced combatants in their human forms, and these are warriors specifically hand-picked by the Elders. It seems like it'd make enough sense for the bodyguards/assassins to be the strongest.
Elfich

Post by Elfich »

orion_winterfire wrote:
infidel901 wrote:I really hope we don't have to make a decision- either play expansion OR LW2. That would suck. LW1 and LW2 make the base games 3x as good.
Indeed. Frankly, I'm disappointed that they didn't reach out to PI much sooner, especially considering the relationship at xcom2 launch.
From what I've read, it looks to my untrained eyes like there will be multiple mechanics that just plain won't work with lw2.
I hate to say it, but I'm really leaning toward just sticking with lw2 and skipping the expansion altogether.
It is quite possible that Jake Solomon/Firaxis has already been in contact with PI, and Jake Solomon just politely brushed it away because it is not the right time to be talking about it.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Got a modding question for the community, what is considered a good laptop for LW2 modding? Memory, on board graphics card with memory, and so on. I know the game requirements but wanted to inquire from a few LW2 modders.
Cogo

Post by Cogo »

mc322 wrote:Got a modding question for the community, what is considered a good laptop for LW2 modding? Memory, on board graphics card with memory, and so on. I know the game requirements but wanted to inquire from a few LW2 modders.
Hi.

Laptops are not very good to game with, unless you want to pay for it. You pay a lot vs Desktop for the same HW.
If you only want a laptop, here are a few guidelines for you.
  • Motherboard = Make sure so it supports SSD drives and have at least 16GB Ram.

Graphic card = Don't even bother with any on-board GPU that comes with the motherboard. You need a GPU that's around Geforce 1060. GPU to Laptops costs a lot more then the same card to desktops. Also, GPU on laptops overheat very easy, so make sure you get a cooler version for your laptop.

Windows 10 = Win 10 uses your system a lot better then any previous windows. Get Win 10, 64Bit.

Ram = 16GB. Ram is cheap and helps with pretty much everything. Get at least 16GB.

HD = A SSD drive as C: is a must and by far the best for your system for any gaming. For storage of movies etc, use an external drive, or another internal if that's possible. SATA 2GB drives are a good value.

For modding, I suggest using Windows Virtual Ram to at least 24GB. You set it in the system admin.
Cogo Hatemachine - The one you love to hate
----------------------------
Hero: "- If I pull that mask off, will you die?"
Me: "- It would be extremely painful...."
Hero: "- Yer a big guy"
Me: "- ..for you"
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Ok, so you're saying a desktop is cheaper and better for gaming correct? I have a mac which I use quite a bit but I do agree on the gaming issue. What specs are good for a desktop for modding and gaming with LW2 and the like, thanks.
Cogo

Post by Cogo »

Desktop is cheaper because HDD. graphic cards and other HW costs aprox 30% more for a laptop, then the same thing on a Desktop. Its the size. Also, desktops can handle cooling a hell of a lot better then laptops. Cheaper too.

You can buy a good Laptop for gaming too, but it will cost ;).

Mac works ok. Macs problem isnt the hardware, but what drivers works in your Mac OS with whatever game you are playing.
Also, you will have alot of problems with windows games on a Mac. Same issue, the drivers and what software works with Mac OS.

"Specs" for modding LW 2 isnt needed if your system runs the game fine with no problems.
Cogo Hatemachine - The one you love to hate
----------------------------
Hero: "- If I pull that mask off, will you die?"
Me: "- It would be extremely painful...."
Hero: "- Yer a big guy"
Me: "- ..for you"
Korval

Please FORK the LW2 code for the expansion

Post by Korval »

Recommendation - FORK the LW2 code so you have a branch that supports XCOM 2 with expansion and XCOM 2 without expansion.

So much is changing, it's not clear that after adding LW2 in, the expansion will be the better game.

My initial take on the expansion was "Looks like it would be fun to play once or twice... Then go back to basic XCOM 2 + LW2..."