XCOM 2 expansion + Long War 2: (11/7/17 UPDATE: See announcement thread)

Zork

Re: XCOM 2 expansion + Long War 2: Nothing to announce

Post by Zork »

Well they already got my money for WoTC but it was very unpleasant to quote the approach of two separate applications, so LW2 got none of the bug and glitches fixes not any of the smoothing.

I can understand LW2 not merged/adapted to WoTC but not that it didn't get the polish added with WoTC. Right now XCOM2 LW2 is the most unstable game I ever played more than 100H or even more than 20H. And it's clearly not on a mod side to improve that.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
casual visitor

Post by casual visitor »

I spent some time playing wotc soon after release, not finished it coz lost interest after defeat all three chosens. Got some overpowered weapon which made best analogues from vanilla useless, as long as there is only one squad in action at a time. And because of only six soldiers in this squad I doubt to use new classes (except skirmisher which seemed very useful to me). I mean, they are kinda amusing, but when the first impression passes they become unnecessary.
I wrote this just to notice that even with bad optimization and less content vanilla game with LW2 looks much more interesting than wotc. It will be sad if LW2 doesn't get further development.
Just share my opinion.
Limehill

Post by Limehill »

As said by many others, I really would not consider purchasing 'War of the Chosen' until Long War 2 has incorporated it into it's experience. Somehow, Firaxis usually turns out a technically engaging and visually stunning experience but the Long War team just has a knack for turning it into an emotionally driven, personal experience. I love Long War 2 the way it is and I don't feel any need for DLC unless Johnny Lump says it is necessary to experience LW2 fully.
faceleg

Post by faceleg »

I for one am LOVING the WotC experience.

Really excited for a LW2.WotC in the future, if it comes.
Noober

Post by Noober »

Just finished first Legend WoTC.
It's so easy past early game.............. after nov I forced myself to play just to see the new final cutscene.
Raid 3vs13 endgame ayss? PSI+Sniper+Ranger and it could as well be 3 vs 30.
Solo facility/Forge? Just reaper and it's done.
Yes, assasin is a major problem early on but with promotion reward for covert ops it can be rather quickly dealt with.
Wait for LW if it will ever be - it's too much unbalanced in the current state.
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

Nofear001 wrote:Firaxis can have my WOTC money when LW2 has a compatibility announcement.
No LW2. No point in getting WOTC.
^^
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Wow, it's actually really really sad to see this attitude, but I guess to each their own. Without Firaxis there would not have been a Long War in the first place and WotC is an incredible experience, such hostility toward it is shocking to me. The claims that it isn't as enjoyable as Long War 2 to me are way off, but I haven't had an enjoyable experience with LW2 personally, it just doesn't flow well at all.

Their [Firaxis] decision to not give the optimization improvements to vanilla XCom 2, and therefore LW2, are upsetting sure, but considering the amount of changes and improvements it does makes sense from a developer's standpoint. If they would have been focused on optimization of vanilla then they wouldn't have been able to add nearly as much as they did. Now that of course brings up the subject of should a game not be released unless already optimized...well we can discuss that all we want but it is the state of things in the game industry because enough players are ok with it at this point so really a pointless debate to have.
Noober

Post by Noober »

I didn't mean any offence - it was just a first impression after 1.4 LW experience.
There are a lot of improvement in WoTC compare to vanila like perfomrance optimisation (no more 1-3 minutes load, slide-show on some missions, etc.), tons of new maps including multi-level ones, new activities (resistance orders like covert ops in EW but without actual mission in the end until ambushed but those mission seems always to be the same), new variants of regular missions (early alternative supply raid with lost and assasin chosen almost cost me a compaign - I was extremely lucky with my team barely survive it), new mechanic of reseacrh (breakthroughs and inspire), sitreps (some of them are challenging like reduce squad to 3 or sergeants rank max on mission), a couple of new enemies (lost and specter) and of couse - chosens and hero classes.
The only thing that concerns me - is the balance. I mean complete luck of balance compare to LW.
Early game could be extremely difficult with assasing and lost on timed mission but all mighty grenades make the regular missions so much easier and MECs - so much dangerous until BS rounds... and there are also no yellow alert shots! Ayys still has a chance to shot you on reaveal if they see uncover unit (anti-beagle maneur?) but that is all.
Perhaps I played too much LW and forgot how it is in vanila.
Looking forward to LW WoTC.
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

dethraker wrote:Wow, it's actually really really sad to see this attitude, but I guess to each their own. Without Firaxis there would not have been a Long War in the first place and WotC is an incredible experience, such hostility toward it is shocking to me. The claims that it isn't as enjoyable as Long War 2 to me are way off, but I haven't had an enjoyable experience with LW2 personally, it just doesn't flow well at all.

Their [Firaxis] decision to not give the optimization improvements to vanilla XCom 2, and therefore LW2, are upsetting sure, but considering the amount of changes and improvements it does makes sense from a developer's standpoint. If they would have been focused on optimization of vanilla then they wouldn't have been able to add nearly as much as they did. Now that of course brings up the subject of should a game not be released unless already optimized...well we can discuss that all we want but it is the state of things in the game industry because enough players are ok with it at this point so really a pointless debate to have.
I don't think it's hostile to say that there are conditions I want to be met before I buy a game. That's my right as a Customer.
Making conscious, informed decisions is the most Moral Thing to do, everywhere, always. No Need to let your pants down just because someone didn't fuck you over. I appreciated it very much that firaxis are the way they are, that's why I bought many of their games. And I still will wait for LW2 Support before I buy the Expansion.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Noober wrote:The only thing that concerns me - is the balance. I mean complete luck of balance compare to LW.
Others that aren't as great at XCom as you would say the exact opposite, that balance in LW2 is horrendous compared to the vanilla experience. Keep in mind not everyone is looking for the hardcore experience like those that are interested in Long War.
Noober wrote:Early game could be extremely difficult with assasing and lost on timed mission but all mighty grenades make the regular missions so much easier and MECs - so much dangerous until BS rounds... and there are also no yellow alert shots! Ayys still has a chance to shot you on reaveal if they see uncover unit (anti-beagle maneur?) but that is all.
Yellow alert in Long War 2 was by and far one of the most hated additions they made, so a pod can come into view(1 action) then scramble(2 actions) and then has a chance to also fire(3 actions) before you can do anything at all about it. This allows the AI to move to a flanking position and one-shot crit kill one of your soldiers without any way to counter it, most terrible idea ever imo. In vanilla XCom 2 they can either shoot OR scramble, not both. So if you leave someone out of cover they are in trouble with either version of the game, but in LW2 even if you always keep your troops in cover there's still a chance that they get flanked by a pod on scramble and then immediately killed.

MECs being one of the single most dangerous units in the vanilla experience still doesn't even compare to the amount of nastiness that can be sent your way in a LW2 encounter lol. They may be hard to deal with early game but unless you're playing extremely reckless then they can be handled quite effectively after shredding a point or two of armor. Triggering multiple pods at once will of course be very punishing with only 6 soldiers though, at least until late game when you can likely trigger the entire map and come out unscathed. Speaking of that's something that is always griped about, hard start - easy end, while I feel this too I do understand the concept, players want to feel that they've accomplished something over the course of a game. In many cases players want that feeling of being awesome towards the end and this is the way Firaxis has gone about giving them that experience, at least IMO.
Noober wrote:Perhaps I played too much LW and forgot how it is in vanila.
Looking forward to LW WoTC.
That's most likely exactly what it boils down to for most Long War fans, "it's not Long War so it's not good" which I'm sure is very flattering to Pavonis but isn't just all around true. I for one am just shocked that more people aren't willing to just support Firaxis by getting WotC due to how great they have been in supporting the community, working directly with Pavonis in some cases, and making a solid base to build off of and stick with the, "Well it needs to be LW2 compatible or no buy." They aren't preventing Pavonis or anyone else from modding WotC, but it's not their job to make the game compatible with mods. They make the core game and the creativity of modders takes it from there making it a whole different monster by the end.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Phaseless wrote:I don't think it's hostile to say that there are conditions I want to be met before I buy a game. That's my right as a Customer.
Making conscious, informed decisions is the most Moral Thing to do, everywhere, always. No Need to let your pants down just because someone didn't fuck you over. I appreciated it very much that firaxis are the way they are, that's why I bought many of their games. And I still will wait for LW2 Support before I buy the Expansion.
Well that's up to Pavonis, not Firaxis, sad that you won't support the company that allowed Long War to exist and that worked directly with Pavonis at times to help them create the LW2 experience. That's my only point, making a condition that, "The game should be stable and add a good amount" makes perfect sense, they delivered on that. Making a condition, "Well unless X mod is being created for the game then no way" is [maybe not hostile but definitely a bit wonky] and really makes no sense. Also to the, "...let your pants down..." really??? Lmao how is saying that "the game that Firaxis produced is by and far a great improvement on the original and is worth the buy with or without Pavonis choosing to make a LW WotC" even remotely the same as that? Now if they released something with half the additions, was still poorly optimized, etc. then I wouldn't recommend it for the simple fact that it would feel exactly like you described. I guess that's just that use an extreme argument to make your point...I think you'll be missing out if Pavonis doesn't make a compatible LW variant but that's completely up to you of course.
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

dethraker wrote:
Phaseless wrote:I don't think it's hostile to say that there are conditions I want to be met before I buy a game. That's my right as a Customer.
Well that's up to Pavonis, not Firaxis, sad that you won't support the company that allowed Long War to exist and that worked directly with Pavonis at times to help them create the LW2 experience. That's my only point, making a condition that, "The game should be stable and add a good amount" makes perfect sense, they delivered on that. Making a condition, "Well unless X mod is being created for the game then no way" is [maybe not hostile but definitely a bit wonky] and really makes no sense. Also to the, "...let your pants down..." really??? Lmao how is saying that "the game that Firaxis produced is by and far a great improvement on the original and is worth the buy with or without Pavonis choosing to make a LW WotC" even remotely the same as that? Now if they released something with half the additions, was still poorly optimized, etc. then I wouldn't recommend it for the simple fact that it would feel exactly like you described. I guess that's just that use an extreme argument to make your point...I think you'll be missing out if Pavonis doesn't make a compatible LW variant but that's completely up to you of course.
I mean I give your right when you say the main condition to buy a game could be that it's stable and offers entertaining gameplay, or story, or whatever.

But here comes the problem. There are so many interesting games. And besides games, so many interesting activities. I like discussing in forums, drinking good quality scotch and playing games. I'm sorry but I have to schedule my time. And when I can have long war 2 for no additional cost and 9 out of 10 people tell me LW2 is more entertaining than WotC, then I see no reason to dedicate money and time, both sparse, to WotC. I have to make due with the resources I have and hence decide where to focus my attention.
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

Nofear001 wrote:Firaxis can have my WOTC money when LW2 has a compatibility announcement.
No LW2. No point in getting WOTC.
^^

Not "because LONG WAAAR! but because I require the complexities, especially on the strategic level.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Phaseless wrote:And when I can have long war 2 for no additional cost
Makes perfect sense, though there are other great mods out as well have you tried any of them out?
Phaseless wrote:9 out of 10 people tell me LW2 is more entertaining than WotC
I haven't seen that in any way, shape or form. It's likely just the people you talk to but all data available paints a very different picture, WotC has boosted players by a much larger amount than LW2 did when it came out and everyone I have talked to, while enjoying LW2 more than I did, is much more excited about WotC due to the vast amount of improvements. Though I will defer to your last point, yes it does change up the game almost enough to call it a different experience, so that amount of value added on top of the already great WotC experience is something that would justify even though WotC alone hasn't done it for you.

The thing that has me sold on WotC is one little thing that I had hoped for in vanilla XCom 2, a Resistance that actually resists, even LW2 didn't accomplish this, which was unfortunate.
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

Sure, I use many other mods. Most of them I took from xwynns list.
JM01

Post by JM01 »

When it comes to people's decisions about wanting to wait for Long War before buying WotC I can 100% understand why (even as someone who has both bought and is currently enjoying WotC). I don't think it is bad stance to have and quite honestly I almost said the same. Here are a few reasons why.

1. The early game in the vanilla experience is GOD FUCKING AWEFUL!!!! Your rookies are worthless piles of trash whose only tactical option is to use grenades to blow up cover to set up a flank that they are likely going to miss anyway. In Long War all of your soldiers have 3 utility slots which they can use both frag AND flashbang grenades which gives them actual options for dealing with enemies other than just wasting shots that they have no business even missing in the first place.

2. The strategic layer is actually meaningful and requires you to think about what you are doing in a certain area, like how many people are doing a job at said area, which missions to take which to abandon, which way to want to expand because you don't know anything about the avatar project until you liberate a region. Even with all of the new additions to the strategic layer in WotC it still doesn't feel a whole lot more useful than before. It's still just more of the same scan this and that until the next mission (you do have more variety in what you can enhance in terms of healing, build times or intel gethering than before with the way factions are set up but that is about it).

3. The tactical mechanics are SO MUCH BETTER in long war. The AI behaves WAY better in long way because they make better decisions forcing you to use better tactics to control them (though the soldiers have so many options that sometimes I still think it is a little easy to do so). The tactical layer feels so smooth in long war. In the vanilla experience it feels so god damn binary. Like it's either you use grenades or guaranteed damage abilities or your shots are likely going to miss. In vanilla it feels like if your shot is not 100% it may as well be 50% with as often as your soldiers miss 90+% shots. Granted you do end up grazing a lot in long war even with a 10% graze band but you will just about never miss 90% shots (unless the enemy has a lot of dodge).

4. The tactical layer in long war seems to have an appropriate difficulty curve in that it starts off easier and then starts to get harder even when your solders start getting better gear and skills. The enemy just scales so well that they can keep up with your tech for the most part (though it is possible to rush tech and just alpha strike the hell out of everything and kill it before they can do anything). In vanilla it starts off so bad because of how bad low rank soldiers are but when you get to the later part of the game where your soldiers get more gear and skills it really starts to become a joke and that isn't even taking into consideration alien ruler and chosen gear. If you get both types of gear it becomes almost impossible to lose the tactical layer later. I found myself at the end of the first campaign just not even caring about how I was moving up in maps during missions because everything was so brain dead easy to deal with.

5. Coil guns, enough said.

So even AFTER having said all that (and I could keep going) I still think that WotC is worth it. Why you may ask? Well first off Firaxis did an AMAZING job with improving performance in the game, like it is literally night and day compared to before. The game feels more responsive. Also I feel that even though that there are still not too many options for your soldiers early game there is still enough in that you can get by until you hit your power spike to reach the end. Also there have been lots of mods released already to make the game more enjoyable and tougher (A Better Advent by DerBK is a very nice spike in difficulty on Legend and has made me have my fair share of rage moments :P).

All in all I can 100% see why people prefer Long War over vanilla even with WotC and even with WotC's performance improvements, the actual game play just feels smoother and better. I still do think however that WotC is good enough to warrant a play through as it does bring in enough new things to keep it interesting.
Nofear001

Post by Nofear001 »

dethraker wrote: That's most likely exactly what it boils down to for most Long War fans, "it's not Long War so it's not good" which I'm sure is very flattering to Pavonis but isn't just all around true. I for one am just shocked that more people aren't willing to just support Firaxis by getting WotC due to how great they have been in supporting the community, working directly with Pavonis in some cases, and making a solid base to build off of and stick with the, "Well it needs to be LW2 compatible or no buy." They aren't preventing Pavonis or anyone else from modding WotC, but it's not their job to make the game compatible with mods. They make the core game and the creativity of modders takes it from there making it a whole different monster by the end.
This comment alone has made me reconsider my position.
I am going to buy the WOTC right now simply to support Firaxis. Their base game is good. Pavonis makes it unforgettable. Both deserve the support where I can supply it.
Desslok

Post by Desslok »

dethraker wrote:Wow, it's actually really really sad to see this attitude, but I guess to each their own. Without Firaxis there would not have been a Long War in the first place and WotC is an incredible experience, such hostility toward it is shocking to me. The claims that it isn't as enjoyable as Long War 2 to me are way off, but I haven't had an enjoyable experience with LW2 personally, it just doesn't flow well at all.

I too am in the camp as someone who hasn't bought WoTC until we see some movement on the LW2 front.

The initial Xcom2 release kept me enthralled for maybe a playthrough and a 1/2 till i became somewhat bored with the class mechanics and overall balance of the game.. totalled ~150hours on steam.
LW2 on the other hand has me playing numerous campaigns every patch and i've always found new and interesting ways to keep the motivation flowing. Total steam hours played - 848 on steam. Says alot really.

The thought of going back to the vanilla experience is far more of a negative in my mind over anything the WoTC expansion can overcome. Firaxis should have thrown the cash at the Pavonis team and brought them inhouse for the duration of xcom2s development .. Then they surely would have my money for this expansion.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Desslok wrote:The thought of going back to the vanilla experience is far more of a negative in my mind over anything the WoTC expansion can overcome. Firaxis should have thrown the cash at the Pavonis team and brought them inhouse for the duration of xcom2s development .. Then they surely would have my money for this expansion.
Really, cause if they were inhouse then there wouldn't have been a Long War 2 and by your statement without Long War 2 you wouldn't have supported them...???

I'm glad you have spent so much time and enjoy Long War and don't want to take anything away from that, honestly, I just don't understand failing to support the very reason for the existence of Long War 2 lol. Personally I spent maybe around 40 hours in LW2 and never really got into it, but I have hundreds of hours total in XCom 2. Point being to each their own, but on one hand you want to support a paid mod that can't exist without the core game but don't want to support the core game that is the very reason the mod exists...baffling to me is all. Hope you [and everyone else] gets LW: WotC though!
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

My Dad works at Long War and knows that it's getting released soon, also he will ban you

Seriously though, I am loving WotC, but I am a more "casual" player who gets totally destroyed even on Commander. I think when/if Long War 2 makes it to WotC, it will be so much more fantastic than Long War 2 is now. The expansions version of Long War 2 will definitely be greater than the sum of it's parts (LW2 and WotC), since the new WotC mechanics seem to me to have been designed with LW2 in mind.
Desslok

Post by Desslok »

dethraker wrote: Really, cause if they were inhouse then there wouldn't have been a Long War 2 and by your statement without Long War 2 you wouldn't have supported them...???
I think your missing the point, I'm simply stating that if Firaxis has brought the Longwar team in on the initial development the base game may have become something akin to what we now know as LongWar2.
dethraker wrote: I'm glad you have spent so much time and enjoy Long War and don't want to take anything away from that, honestly, I just don't understand failing to support the very reason for the existence of Long War 2 lol. Personally I spent maybe around 40 hours in LW2 and never really got into it, but I have hundreds of hours total in XCom 2. Point being to each their own, but on one hand you want to support a paid mod that can't exist without the core game but don't want to support the core game that is the very reason the mod exists...baffling to me is all. Hope you [and everyone else] gets LW: WotC though!
My reluctance to purchase WoTC was purely a delay based around this "Nothing to announce" thread. I had hoped there would have been an announcement surrounding the release of the expansion. Instead we were treated with patch 1.5. That became the new Xcom2 experience for me.
Dont get me wrong. I love the work Firaxis has done with the franchise. I've bought all the DLC (not that i use much of it) and i may well buy the WoTC expansion as a good will gesture.. But there is literally no way i'll actually play it over LW2. As you say tho, each to their own.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

@Desslok -

I think you are missing the main point - original Xcom 2 and Long War 2 are meant to be different beasts. Xcom 2 is a more casual game, where you can easily tailor your campaign to your playstyle, while Long War 2 is a hardcore experience where you will need to adapt to a different dynamic and rules.

Both are great in their own ways - for example, Long War 1 had the second wave options "Dynamic War" which let you change the length of a campaign. There were quite a few players that preferred the better pacing of the original Xcom game, but having a more challenging Battlescape experience as the one in Long War.

Same goes here - sometimes you just want to start a fresh game where the aliens do not have such an unfair advantage and also that is paced better. If you want to just spend your months on a single campaign, then Long War 2 is the one.

We can enjoy both of them and they are not mutually exclusive. I for one, having been on board with the Long War mod since late 2013, am enjoying War of the Chosen. Nobody is stopping me from playing Long War 2, on the contrary.
Desslok

Post by Desslok »

@8wayz -

I've no issue with people enjoying the game however they like, infact the more ways the better. There is such thing as ingame difficulty levels and - as you pointed out - things like second wave options to customize to your hearts content which could easily have altered the flow and length of campaigns.

Anyway, as stated - Each to their own.

What i do have an issue with is someone trying to guilt trip others into buying an expansion.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Desslok wrote:I think your missing the point, I'm simply stating that if Firaxis has brought the Longwar team in on the initial development the base game may have become something akin to what we now know as LongWar2.
Quite the contrary actually, I get your point entirely and want to point out that if they brought Pavonis in the fold anymore directly then Pavonis wouldn't exist, they would just be part of the Firaxis development team. XCom 2 is designed to cater to a wider audience that wants to get in, play a game, and just get finished with it. For those that want a longer campaign there are more things in WotC to allow you to extend the campaign quite a bit, though you don't have to in order to "complete" the campaign.

JL stated a long time ago that they got to fly out to Firaxis/2K headquarters [can't remember which and don't feel like digging right now] multiple times and work directly with Firaxis on more than one occasion. They have been privy to information that no other modders are and have even had the ear of Firaxis which I'm sure has influenced the development of XCom 2 in some degree. That, however, does not mean that XCom 2 would have been any different were JL and staff to have been added to the Firaxis team because the game was intentionally marketed to a wider audience that is more casual rather than to the hardcore experience that is Long War 2.

Also, exactly what 8wayz stated, you can actually play both at the same time without any complications that's the glory of the amazing template that Firaxis created. You can activate/deactivate your mods before the game loads thereby allowing you to have multiple campaigns running at the same time as long as you keep your mod list organized ;).

I have been following and supporting Pavonis before they had a name, when JL and Amineri were digging through EU/EW code and before they had even created the EW version of LW1. It was a whole different thing then with the community all coming together, but JL and Amineri were a huge part of that and definitely deserve this opportunity they've been given, but their successes wouldn't have happened without the game being created in the first place for them to build off. This is why I support Firaxis and not just Pavonis, I don't want 2K(the one that finances the entire thing) to think that somehow supporting the mod community is counterproductive to the development of the game franchise.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Desslok wrote:What i do have an issue with is someone trying to guilt trip others into buying an expansion.
I'm simply sharing my thoughts and disappointment with the attitude I've seen toward, "No WotC without LW2 compatibility" in an open forum. I have no intention of guilting anyone into doing anything, if you feel guilty though maybe you should buy WotC(just kidding lol :mrgreen: )