"Commander, we're generating no new supplies. We need to find a way to make Bradford shut up."

Antifringe

"Commander, we're generating no new supplies. We need to find a way to make Bradford shut up."

Post by Antifringe »

Bradford and Shen get really, really annoying. Idle Engineers and zero supply income are common states in Longwar. I'm confident that if there was an easy fix for this, it would have been done by now, but I'd at least like to get the conversation started. Is there a way to unpack and repack the sound files? Because the no-code way would be to find the offending files and replace them with blank mp3s.
Alketi

Re: "Commander, we're generating no new supplies. We need to find a way to make Bradford shut up."

Post by Alketi »

There's probably some subtle complication, but I suspect it would be trivial to turn off most of them. They're just not checking the boolean assicated with "Disable additional V/O" when launching those sound clips. There shouldn't even need to be any UI work.
Antifringe

Re: "Commander, we're generating no new supplies. We need to find a way to make Bradford shut up."

Post by Antifringe »

As an experiment in no-tech hacking, I went to XCOM 2\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\English(US)\ and removed the WwiseDefaultBank_SoundSpeechStrategyCentral.bnk and WwiseDefaultBank_SoundSpeechStrategyShen.bnk files. I was expecting the game to crash, but instead I got something wonderful. This is a screenshot of Bradford trying to nag me for playing Longwar correctly:

There are some side effects. The Spokesman is silent during the monthly review. The stat screen comes up normally and everything, but the voice clip doesn't play. There are probably some other issues, but it's worth it to not have Bradford and Shen up in my grill every time I open the Avenger menu.

If I knew how to open the .bnk files and surgically remove the offending .wem files, I could probably eliminate the side effects, but I haven't figured out how to do that.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

You are most likely aware of this Mod by GrimyBunyip.. DisableMoreVO. (( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =655124816 ))

Not sure if the exact Narrative Moments (which are all neatly identified by XC2's DefaultNarrative.INI file & with some LW2 assets for any others, btw) you're seeking for are already integrated in that particular Mod but i'm fairly certain someone could just alter its script logic accordingly if they aren't.
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

Antifringe wrote:If I knew how to open the .bnk files and surgically remove the offending .wem files, I could probably eliminate the side effects, but I haven't figured out how to do that.
This explains how to extract files from .bnk files. You'd need a similar re-packer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/killingfloor/c ... les_guide/
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

Zyxpsilon wrote:You are most likely aware of this Mod by GrimyBunyip.. DisableMoreVO. (( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =655124816 ))

Not sure if the exact Narrative Moments (which are all neatly identified by XC2's DefaultNarrative.INI file & with some LW2 assets for any others, btw) you're seeking for are already integrated in that particular Mod but i'm fairly certain someone could just alter its script logic accordingly if they aren't.
I use these, but they don't remove the annoying nags about supplies and engineers.
Alketi wrote:
Antifringe wrote:If I knew how to open the .bnk files and surgically remove the offending .wem files, I could probably eliminate the side effects, but I haven't figured out how to do that.
This explains how to extract files from .bnk files. You'd need a similar re-packer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/killingfloor/c ... les_guide/
I found this same post during my quest for silence, but none of the programs mentioned there actually work on the XCOM bnk.
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

Antifringe wrote: I found this same post during my quest for silence, but none of the programs mentioned there actually work on the XCOM bnk.
Hmm, maybe someone from Pavonis can shed light on the packing/unpacking procedure or tools.

Should you succeed, you'll be the hero to thousands. :)
Frei_Ninjesus

Post by Frei_Ninjesus »

Maybe I'm crazy, but I find some weird comfort in hearing the gang talking when I'm in the Avenger. Makes if feel homely. Even Bradford's nagging, it's like he's the ships mom or something. (?)
sadh

Post by sadh »

I don't mind the occasional nag on the Avenger too much. The sound byte that irritates the living shit out of me is the excessively long "panicking-soldier heavy breathing". Wears me out. Partially because it's too long, but also likely it has something to do with the fact that I'm already irritated due to whatever bad just happened that caused the soldier to panic.