aren't supply raids just too hard to detect?

dario_gaston

aren't supply raids just too hard to detect?

Post by dario_gaston »

I mean, even with 13 guys on intel, a scientist and the avenger scanner I never get to detect one with more than 3 days left. Or I am mising something.
RantingRodent

Re: aren't supply raids just too hard to detect?

Post by RantingRodent »

I believe this is intentional. You're no supposed to be able to stop Advent from moving troops around with any sort of consistency. There is a possibility to detect them with longer times, but it's rare.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Although the "AmbushTroop" mission does inflict some lower Strength effect when Advent moves such groups around.

But, as per OP theory.. since v1.4 i also noticed a much higher rate of undetectable Raids of any kind. It's more like a surprising coincidence when we do. I believe the newest Vigilance calculations have an impact too on **WHERE** these various Raids should occur while the first two Liberations can determine the probable location(s) & how Aliens react based on risk/distance evaluations for optimal distribution away from Liberated Havens.
Olin

Post by Olin »

Maybe it depends on difficulty level (I'm playing on veteran) or I was lucky but I did around 5 supply raids till July - all of them properly inflitrated => 100%, one boosted. So they are definately possible to discover in time. Usually I had 7-8 rebels on intel job in the regions where I managed to discover them. Funnily enough, I am in the beginning of November right now and I have discovered only ONE troop column to date with 1 day time remaining.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

It's meant to be hard and hence unreliable to detect them. This campaign I've done two by July. Both needed boosting. They were 4 and a bit days and 5 and a bit days respectively.

Do keep an eye out. I have an unconfirmed suspicion that the original display overstates the strength at 100% infiltration. And/or boost is somehow more effective than it usually is.
Garthor

Post by Garthor »

gimrah wrote:It's meant to be hard and hence unreliable to detect them. This campaign I've done two by July. Both needed boosting. They were 4 and a bit days and 5 and a bit days respectively.

Do keep an eye out. I have an unconfirmed suspicion that the original display overstates the strength at 100% infiltration. And/or boost is somehow more effective than it usually is.
I had one supply raid once that, upon boosting, the strength remained unchanged. "Oh, well" I thought, "I did use the boost so maybe there was just an error in reporting the activity level..."

Double rainbow pods right out the gate.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I don't get why they triple nerfed them tho. Not only they're harder to find with reasonable timers now (so pretty much you need to spend intel to do them), the rewards are also lower, you don't get concealment under 100% and going under-infiltrated means you'll face a boss pod full of nasties. :?
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

I think supply raids got nerfed pretty bad.

Basically:
- You have to keep 10+ people on intel to detect them
- You need to have a top squad on standby / cancel another ongoing mission
- You need to boost them (25 intel cost)

The loot is basically on par with what you get on Smash and Grab. The difference is that you get corpses that you cannot really get in any other manner early game.

I think you should either have a way to get corpses in another way (e.g. get 1 corpse / mission) or make them a little more reliable to detect. At the moment it's a lottery. And it's a lottery that you need to win or you will be gated in your research.

I think having a research (basic / advance / expert) that lets one specific trooper to carry one corpse out of a mission would be a nice touch. They are 5/10 supply worth so I don't think it's anything game breaking.Plus you have 1 less trooper to shoot.

I don't think you can push an HQ (another source of corpses) without some vests (that, ironically, require corpses).
deducter

Post by deducter »

In my commander Ironman campaign, I've done 4 of these by october 3. I got super lucky with a 5 day one in April that I boosted, 2 7 day ones, and a september 4 day one that I boosted. I have not been hurting for resources due to smash and grabs.

Supply raids are a nice bonus but I expect to do only a few. They are kinda like detecting landed UFOS now.

Even detecting the 1-3 day supply raids is useful for strategic reasons. I've been able to plan some missions around them, either launching earlier or later to account for Advent strength changes.