Soldiers randomly getting their gear unequipped?

Lyzak

Soldiers randomly getting their gear unequipped?

Post by Lyzak »

I'm not sure whether this is "vanilla" functionality or some kind of "QoL" feature attempted in Long War 2, but I've noticed that my soldiers have a bad habit of randomly getting their equipment removed in certain circumstances. From what I can tell, it happens when a soldier is wounded, goes to train in the AWC, or goes to train as an officer. But... it's not consistent. There's no way I can tell, so far, to be sure that gear will, or won't be unequipped from that soldier when they enter one of these states. Sometimes they will have their gear removed, sometimes they won't. And it never "re-equips" after they're done. Ever.

Anyone know what's up with this? It's really, REALLY frustrating to have to look at every single bloody soldier that I send on a mission and go "Okay, are they carrying the right gear? Is anything missing because this bullshit game decided to take it off? Did I accidentally re-equip the gear to A DIFFERENT soldier somewhere else?"
DrBeast

Re: Soldiers randomly getting their gear unequipped?

Post by DrBeast »

A pet peeve of mine, as well - I have sent off squads in a haste more times than I care to admit only to find out when the mission starts that they're not decked out properly. However, when I was rooting through the .ini files looking for the parameter that determines how many abilities are shown per page on the UI (14 are too few), I stumbled upon this at the bottom of XComUI.ini:

Code: Select all

; Control wounded soldier auto-strip behavior. By default wounded soldiers have their non-infinite utility items
; stripped when entering squad select. This is vanilla behavior.
; NoStripWoundedInventory: If true, suppress the normal behavior of stripping utility items from wounded soldiers.
; AutoStripWoundedAllItems: If true (and NoStripWoundedInventory is false), strip other equipment slots on wounded soldiers.
;NoStripWoundedInventory=false 	
;AutoStripWoundedAllItems=false
Notice that they are commented out, i.e. not active. I changed that to

NoStripWoundedInventory=true	
AutoStripWoundedAllItems=false
and so far no items have been stripped from my soldiers coming out of AWC/Officer training. However, I will need to play more to ascertain whether the command actually worked or the game just happened not to strip the items. Oh, and if anyone can point me in the direction of the parameter I mentioned earlier, I'll buy you a beer or ten :mrgreen:
Let the Beast inside you free!
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

@DrBeast.. IF your solution to that flaw actually works (I will certainly try it!), you're my savior. THIS stuff has been annoying me sooooooo much. Thanks.

14 abilities MAX?

At first i thought it had to be controlled by XComLW_Toolbox.INI parameters since there is an option to set it in two distinct states... but strangely, that file doesn't really contain a proper hook. Sooooooo -- dug further more in other UC scripting systems to determine the exact process & related function..

-- Plouck.. the nearly hidden code swap is exposed by XComLW_PerkPack.INI with these two simple instructions;

+NUM_DISPLAYED_ABILITIES_IN_HUD_OPTIONS=14
+NUM_DISPLAYED_ABILITIES_IN_HUD_OPTIONS=10
You owe me a Six-Pack! :lol:

PS; Well -- unless there IS something else at work with supplemental code mechanics, i suspect these should indirectly control the core MIN/MAX values.
DrBeast

Post by DrBeast »

Thank you Zyx, XComLW_Toolbox was the first file I went for, as well. Beers are en route! :D
Will fire up the game now for more testing re: the stuff I found.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

You might be surprised to know that your XComUI.INI alternate "Uncomment edits" aren't applied to PsiOps as their loadout weren't kept after their training phase. Have yet to reach some of the AWC cases.

This weird stuff is beyond most of my attempts to figure out the exact causes so far.. it might just be related to transit conditions that occur when inspecting or "activating" various HUD components such as Squad-Management Views or Barracks List "clicks".
Ideally, a true Game/State principle that purposely saves these elements would probably need to be designed by PI.. but i don't hold my breath they ever will try tackling that VERY annoying stack flaw.

Oh - well. Cross-Fingers. :?
DrBeast

Post by DrBeast »

So far it has worked for me. Had a dozen or so soldiers visit the AWC and four Psi-ops undergo training and they all kept their belongings. More testing is, of course, needed.
DrBeast

Post by DrBeast »

Well, there goes that theory. Just had two of my soldiers drop their stuff when entering the AWC...