LoS seriously bugged in 1.3

Franzy

LoS seriously bugged in 1.3

Post by Franzy »

LoS always worked strange in XCOM, but this new thing I often encounter in 1.3 seems to be a new bug.
The bug is drones and sentries have larger line if sight then red squares indicate, by exactly one tile. Squad concealed, enemy in full view, I try to move a soldier right along the enemy field of view... bummm! spotted, although the game stated I won't be. Very annoying. Seems to happen in missions where enemies are "vulnerable", against soldiers with smg equipped.
Clibanarius

Re: LoS seriously bugged in 1.3

Post by Clibanarius »

Honestly, I think this is a problem from before 1.3. I've had the same experience you have with the red tiles not being current with the visibility range of drones especially.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I think the issue comes from low cover terrain that you can walk over when on the edge of the detection range. The tile won't show the indicator, and the pathing AI won't recognize it either. It'll mark the destination as safe, but it really isn't.

It's not new in 1.3.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

X2 just has crappy LOS overall, even previews of what targets you can see from a position sometimes turn out to be wrong when you actually go there
Franzy

Post by Franzy »

Dwarfling wrote:I think the issue comes from low cover terrain that you can walk over when on the edge of the detection range. The tile won't show the indicator, and the pathing AI won't recognize it either. It'll mark the destination as safe, but it really isn't.

It's not new in 1.3.
No, it was on flat ground. Never happened to me before 1.3, although I ran borders all the time on stealth missions. Probably a result of visual range reduction changes in 1.3. If I had to guess, probably happens due to rounding done differently in UI and actual spotting. Let's say a sentry has visual of 5.5 tiles (reduced from normal by our smg), and UI considers it to be 5 tiles, while spotting algorithm considers it to be 6 tiles, or something like that.
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Saph7 »

I've flagged it as a bug a couple of times, but the coders say it's a vanilla issue and not something they can do much about. It's annoying, I know.
Frei_Ninjesus

Post by Frei_Ninjesus »

Last night my Shinobi got spotted through a roof's solid floor from the street (literally straight below him, he wasn't even on the edge of the roof), which ultimately cost the life of my technical tank Mick Rory, who valiantly sacrificed himself so the rest of the squad could escape with the rescued scientist. Haven't got that emotional about something in a game for a while now.

RIP Heatwave, damn you LoS bugs!
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

Frei_Ninjesus wrote:Last night my Shinobi got spotted through a roof's solid floor from the street (literally straight below him, he wasn't even on the edge of the roof), which ultimately cost the life of my technical tank Mick Rory, who valiantly sacrificed himself so the rest of the squad could escape with the rescued scientist. Haven't got that emotional about something in a game for a while now.

RIP Heatwave, damn you LoS bugs!
If you want to feel truly emotional, go on steam community hub and post this there.
You'll get overwhelmed by emotions towards people who will start explaining that the game has 0 LOS issues and that you don't understand its rules properly.
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

It's been a while since we had one, actually.
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

An all-time favorite is getting shot through high-cover in the middle two of the four high cover spots against a van or truck.

Also, the HQ missions seem to have many LOS bugs, including that long row of high cover just before the General's building, and some low cover obstacles that act as high cover, preventing one from throwing grenades and such into the area.

It seems like some of these might be attribute issues with the cover obstacles and fixable in the maps themselves, but I'm just spitballing.
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Saph7 »

Alketi wrote:It seems like some of these might be attribute issues with the cover obstacles and fixable in the maps themselves, but I'm just spitballing.
They're locked to the map in many cases, yeah. Unfortunately they're not at all easy to fix.