enemies shooting on reveal

aceone

enemies shooting on reveal

Post by aceone »

Hi All,

Sorry if this is an old topic. I just want some clarifications.

For me Long war 2 on Legend is perfectly made, i really enjoy it!

The only thing that annoys me is , when the aliens on yellow allert in their turn scamper to flank and shoot, and preety much kill or heavy injure my men.

Now, i know i can disable looking bellow:

Go to \SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Config and open XComLW_Overhaul.ini and search for the following and change them to how you like.

; Controls how frequently a scampering alien will receive an extra action point when they activate on their own turn while in yellow alert. This uses the yellow action table.
REFLEX_ACTION_CHANCE_YELLOW[0]=0.0
REFLEX_ACTION_CHANCE_YELLOW[1]=0.20
REFLEX_ACTION_CHANCE_YELLOW[2]=0.33
REFLEX_ACTION_CHANCE_YELLOW[3]=0.33

But to be honest i dont mind aliens getting an action on reveal like overwatch, what bothers me is that they shoot too (scamper on reveal, move to cover/flank and then shoot).

So my question is, what does it mean `This uses the yellow action table`? Does anybody know if there is any way to make some changes, so that the aliens - just dont shoot on reveal.

Thanks in advance
8wayz

Re: enemies shooting on reveal

Post by 8wayz »

Taken from From XcomLW_Overhaul.ini

Code: Select all

; Offensive actions - Undamaged units in yellow alert that activate on their turn will be allowed
; these actions.
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=StandardShot
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Overwatch
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=SniperRifleOverwatch
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LightEmUp
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=HunkerDown
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression_LW
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=AreaSuppression
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Mindspin
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=WarCry
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=MarkTarget
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShield
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShieldMk3
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=BlazingPinionsStage1
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=DevastatingPunch
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=ChryssalidSlash
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=ScythingClaws
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=PsiReanimation
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=AnimaInversion
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneShock
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneRepair
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneMeleeStun
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=MassReanimation_LW
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=PersonalShield
;+OffensiveReflexAbilities=StandardMove
;+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Teleport
The last two actions are comments and are not active. If you want to switch off any of the rest, just put ";" at the start of the line.
In your case you will need to type in ;+OffensiveReflexAbilities=StandardShot. You might consider also Suppression if you detest the AI shooting at you at all.

As explained at the start of the table, any unit on yellow alert and not damaged will have a chance to trigger an action on that table.

Green alert - Defensive actions, again from the same file:

; Defensive actions - Damaged units in yellow alert that activate on their turn, or any unit
; in green that activates on their turn (if green reflex actions are enabled) will use this
; table. Generally should be a subset of the offensive table above.
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=Overwatch
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=SniperRifleOverwatch
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=LongWatch
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=HunkerDown
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=WarCry
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShield
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShieldMk3
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneRepair
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=PersonalShield
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression_LW
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=AreaSuppression
;+DefensiveReflexAbilities=PsiReanimation
;+DefensiveReflexAbilities=AnimaInversion
;+DefensiveReflexAbilities=MassReanimation_LW
The last 3 are left as comments and not active.
aceone

Post by aceone »

Hi 8wayz, and thanks for the quick reply!

Very well explained, i`ll give it a try :)

regards
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

If you want to get around this in a gameplay sort of way, make a habit of packing at least one Battle Scanner on your guys and tossing one out in a direction you think the game would screw you over with a yellow alert pod. Won't stop those 20% thru high cover hits tho :(
aceone

Post by aceone »

Dwarfling wrote:If you want to get around this in a gameplay sort of way, make a habit of packing at least one Battle Scanner on your guys and tossing one out in a direction you think the game would screw you over with a yellow alert pod. Won't stop those 20% thru high cover hits tho :(
Hi, and thanks for the reply.

But before i am able to build battle scanners, i would probably have several people killed or injured.

Also, what bothers me, are not the 15-20% high cover crit hits, but the scamper move to flank and shoot.

Playing on legend, the means at your disposal are very limited, especially in the first few months.

For me is enough to disable ` +OffensiveReflexAbilities=StandardShot ` to improve the gameplay a bit.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Hey aceone, glad to be of service. :)

From a gameplay point of view aliens always had a way to sneak free or trick shots, since 1994. I still remember those Blaster bombs coming your away from the other side of the map with no line of sight whatsoever. Or just aliens having a longer line of sight and shooting at you from the fog of war.

Those were the times. ;)

In Long War 2 there are two ways to deal with yellow actions:
- Damage them with AoE abilities and weapons. Damaged units can only get actions on the Defensive table.
- Activate the pod on your turn. Explosives work the best. Or just Mind Control/ Hack one of them.

Let me know how it goes. I have yet to try to remove/add actions to one of the tables but am considering it.
aceone

Post by aceone »

8wayz wrote:Hey aceone, glad to be of service. :)

From a gameplay point of view aliens always had a way to sneak free or trick shots, since 1994. I still remember those Blaster bombs coming your away from the other side of the map with no line of sight whatsoever. Or just aliens having a longer line of sight and shooting at you from the fog of war.

Those were the times. ;)

In Long War 2 there are two ways to deal with yellow actions:
- Damage them with AoE abilities and weapons. Damaged units can only get actions on the Defensive table.
- Activate the pod on your turn. Explosives work the best. Or just Mind Control/ Hack one of them.

Let me know how it goes. I have yet to try to remove/add actions to one of the tables but am considering it.
So you`ve played XCOM UFO ENEMY UNKNOWN too ? :) Those were the times indeed!

XCOM apocalipse was also superb!

I always wandered why aliens still get an action after being hit, i guess the above explains that, thanks.

1.3 is soo beautiful , because the strategy that you`ve been used to play on 1.2 doesn`t work anymore. The tactical/strategic layer of the game has changed so much that i have to employ a completely different style of gameplay!

For example in 1.2 in vere hid the resistance people, but in 1.3, when the advent strenght gets high like 6-7, became very dangerous to keep them working on something...

Regards
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

8wayz wrote: In Long War 2 there are two ways to deal with yellow actions:
Oh, so overwatch is actually still quite useful, it might hit one of the targets that was randomly selected to act. A question: What happens if a unit is selected to do a Yellow Reflex action and then is killed, by overwatch on reveal? Do the aliens lose that action, or does that action move to another enemy?

For example, a pod of a trooper and an officer is revealed and the officer gets a reflex action (and the trooper does not), if the officer is damaged by OW this officer is forced into a defensive action, but if the officer is killed by OW, the actions won't move to the trooper right? The reflex chances are determined on reveal (or maybe even at pod spawning) right?
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Manifest wrote: Oh, so overwatch is actually still quite useful, it might hit one of the targets that was randomly selected to act. A question: What happens if a unit is selected to do a Yellow Reflex action and then is killed, by overwatch on reveal? Do the aliens lose that action, or does that action move to another enemy?
The aliens move in and spot your guys. They might get shot by some overwatches. Then they scamper. This may cause more overwatches to trigger. After all movement is complete and all overwatches have been taken, the game goes through the list of surviving aliens and rolls to see which ones make a move.

If you had a pod of 8 and 2 where killed by overwatch and 2 wounded, then you're left with 4 unwounded and 2 wounded. The 4 unwounded each take a roll in some order, with each success resulting in a yellow reflex action and causing all further rolls to be made against a lower number (its a cumulative penalty for that pod). After all unwounded targets get their action or fail to get their action, then the wounded targets get some rolls too. However, any of them that succeed only get a green reflex action.
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

8wayz wrote:Taken from From XcomLW_Overhaul.ini

; Offensive actions - Undamaged units in yellow alert that activate on their turn will be allowed
; these actions.
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=StandardShot
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Overwatch
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=SniperRifleOverwatch
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LightEmUp
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=HunkerDown
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression_LW
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=AreaSuppression
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Mindspin
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=WarCry
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=MarkTarget
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShield
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShieldMk3
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=BlazingPinionsStage1
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=DevastatingPunch
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=ChryssalidSlash
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=ScythingClaws
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=PsiReanimation
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=AnimaInversion
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneShock
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneRepair
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneMeleeStun
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=MassReanimation_LW
+OffensiveReflexAbilities=PersonalShield
;+OffensiveReflexAbilities=StandardMove
;+OffensiveReflexAbilities=Teleport
The last two actions are comments and are not active. If you want to switch off any of the rest, just put ";" at the start of the line.
In your case you will need to type in ;+OffensiveReflexAbilities=StandardShot. You might consider also Suppression if you detest the AI shooting at you at all.

As explained at the start of the table, any unit on yellow alert and not damaged will have a chance to trigger an action on that table.

Green alert - Defensive actions, again from the same file:

; Defensive actions - Damaged units in yellow alert that activate on their turn, or any unit
; in green that activates on their turn (if green reflex actions are enabled) will use this
; table. Generally should be a subset of the offensive table above.
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=Overwatch
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=SniperRifleOverwatch
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=LongWatch
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=HunkerDown
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=WarCry
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShield
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=EnergyShieldMk3
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=LWDroneRepair
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=PersonalShield
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=Suppression_LW
+DefensiveReflexAbilities=AreaSuppression
;+DefensiveReflexAbilities=PsiReanimation
;+DefensiveReflexAbilities=AnimaInversion
;+DefensiveReflexAbilities=MassReanimation_LW
The last 3 are left as comments and not active.
Where is mind control?
hewhoispale

Post by hewhoispale »

WanWhiteWolf wrote: Where is mind control?
Mindspin. My understanding is that Sectoids only have one psi attack, the degree to which it succeeds determines the effect. Mindspin rolls their psi stat vs the target's will score. A low margin of success disorients the target, a moderate margin panics, and a large margin mind controls.
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

hewhoispale wrote:
WanWhiteWolf wrote: Where is mind control?
Mindspin. My understanding is that Sectoids only have one psi attack, the degree to which it succeeds determines the effect. Mindspin rolls their psi stat vs the target's will score. A low margin of success disorients the target, a moderate margin panics, and a large margin mind controls.
Thank you for clarification.