RemoveFortressDoom not working, plus "Cheat Removal" message

hermescostell

RemoveFortressDoom not working, plus "Cheat Removal" message

Post by hermescostell »

Just tried using the RemoveFortressDoom console command, with my doom meter one square from the end, and the game suddenly showed the meter maxed out, then moved it back to where it had been before, and showed the message "Cheat Removal" up on the screen.

Is this the intended behavior??
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Re: RemoveFortressDoom not working, plus "Cheat Removal" message

Post by deaconivory »

hermescostell wrote:Just tried using the RemoveFortressDoom console command, with my doom meter one square from the end, and the game suddenly showed the meter maxed out, then moved it back to where it had been before, and showed the message "Cheat Removal" up on the screen.

Is this the intended behavior??
The "Cheat Removal" pop up means that it is working. Chances are you just timed it when the timer was about to add a new pip.
hermescostell

Post by hermescostell »

deaconivory wrote:The "Cheat Removal" pop up means that it is working.
And you mean by that, that when the RemoveFortressDoom command executes correctly, that the "Cheat Removal" message shows up? That verbiage strikes me as really strange. Furthermore I experimented with making it remove a variety of different amounts (1, 3, 5...) and each time it behaved exactly the same.

Anyhow strangely enough I reloaded the same save game (I think...) and then suddenly things DID appear to work correctly: the doom clock pips which I was supposed to have lost by completing the blacksite mission correctly were removed, which was why I was trying the RemoveFortressDoom command in the first place. I realize I'm being unclear - the full story is: I was down to 2 pips on the doom clock, completed the blacksite mission, and then got no reflection of that in the doom clock (it remained at 2 from the end). I then tried the console command and encountered the behavior I described. THEN I loaded up the same save (I think) and went onto the geoscape and suddenly it did take off the 3 pips.

I didn't regenerate the config directory and such, which I just discovered in the how-to for the 1.13 rollout today - perhaps that's to blame? Anyhow at the moment I just wanted to raise a flag about the bizarre behavior I encountered.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Not to derail the cheat command topic, but if I'm understanding right the first time you completed the blacksite you didn't get a doom reduction? But then after reloading the mission again you did? I'd be interested in your save if it reliably failed to remove doom from the blacksite.

Edit: Also to clarify, RemoveFortressDoom is a vanilla cheat command, not one we added. But LW2 does change the doom mechanic somewhat. It's possible that the doom reduction failed because you had no doom actually on the fortress, it was all in facilities? There was a 1.2 bug where if you triggered doom reduction but had no doom on your fortress, the doom reduction would just be lost. We put a fix for that in 1.3 that should remove the doom from facilities instead.
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

I agree that the "Cheat Removal" pop up is odd, but it was added to the Developer's Console by Firaxis so they probably had a reason for it.

In a very general sense, most issues that are not caused by a straight up mod conflict, or bug in a mod itself, are resolved with a save, exit, and reload; or a computer reboot; or backing up and deleting the my documents\my games\xcom3\xcomgame\config folder. Or all three.

It also doesn't hurt to move all of your save files (except the most recent obviously) to a new folder. I've found that keeping a small number of saves in savedata improves game performance, same is true for log files. These tips are anecdotal and I suggest them often and they continue to work for me, but some folks report that they didn't help so YMMV, they certainly won't make any issue worse. This is true whether running a vanilla campaign or a heavily modded campaign. It's generally true for most computer programs for that matter.

Good Luck Commander! o7
lasgalen88

Post by lasgalen88 »

Not sure if any help but here's my experience :

Tried to remove 5 points once or twice, I was already at five to the limit I think, didn't seem to do anything. Well, it did call the "impending end of the project" message, didn't see the cheat message, but I may have missed it.

Tried removing 10.

It called the cheat message, filled the bar and removed 8.

End of the month, it said advent had progressed 30 points on the avatar project, but the speaker didn't seem too displeased :p
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

I found the issue with \RemoveFortressDoom: I accidentally broke it while fixing the bug with doom removal being dropped on the floor if you don't have any doom left in the fortress (it's all in facilities) :(

I have a fix for the next update.
hermescostell

Post by hermescostell »

Tracktwo - thanks! I apologize for not getting you that save - I've been taking some time off from the forums...