Burning mechanic

Littlebob86

Burning mechanic

Post by Littlebob86 »

Is there an ini option to stop the burning mechanic from disabling people to shoot?? I'd much prefer it gives a large negative. Watching xwynns campaign, it's just too easy to shut down anything other than melee with it, doesn't even make sense why melee is still enabled either?
wobuffet

Re: Burning mechanic

Post by wobuffet »

I agree, -40 to Aim and no secondary abilities would be more elegant.

Maybe 50% chance that the fire goes out if unit Hunkers (or takes no offensive actions), too.
Dumahaz

Post by Dumahaz »

I spent some time looking at the burning mechanics and human behavior when on fire (not many studies here for obvious reasons).

The mechanic itself is fine - and likely as realistic as it can get with a few exceptions
-the enemy being forced to use as many movement tiles as possible (would be my biggest pet-peeve with the mechanic- the person/alien would likely move to the safest place possible then wouldn't budge till the fire is under control "if they acted like a human", advent would probably run and hunker in real life or if they couldn't find a safe spot just keep running, and mutons wouldn't care or would war cry and keep coming)

The problem with burning is that the advent and aliens have no counters to it.

Possible solutions

Strategic Layer:
Dark Events
That add burning resistance to units (or any other status effect as well)
That reduce status effect duration
That provide stat bonuses when under the effect

Tactical Layer
Armor reduces chance of burning
1 armor = 33% reduction
2 armor = 66% reduction
3 armor = Immunity?

Enemies can hunker when burning? (Hunker reduces burning duration by 1? - give to player as well to keep it fair - will likely reduce some player frustration with the mechanic as it gives them another option to deal with it.

Modified enemy behavior (Likely by enemy type - so its a very good thing vs certain units and mediocre vs others)

Reducing reliability of burning - (I personally don't like this options as I think it would more frustrating than fair)
MacroNova

Post by MacroNova »

If burning didn't make us complacent, we wouldn't have those moments where a Naja on fire runs to a flank position in a fountain, putting out its fire, and then crit kills a soldier. Not saying that recently happened to me or anything....