Why can't we carry alien corpses?

mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Why can't we carry alien corpses?

Post by mattprice516 »

DaviBones wrote:
azarga wrote:
mattprice516 wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the lack of proper animations and prohibitive time it would take to make them is a major reason.
Animations are indeed glitchy with most aliens.
If we take into account only the aliens that would be more or less around standard human in weight (makes no sense for XCOM soldier to be able to carry something like Muton or Andromedon etc) from my experience with the "extract corpses" mod:

-sectoids - works fine, apparently skeleton for animation is similar to human characters
-sneks - glitchy - the tail remains fully extended and rigidly "erect" parallel to the ground, i guess since animation skeleton for sneks has no legs part, the tail part is just reset to default position
-drones - completely glitchy, actual model floats somewhere to the side

ADVENT corpses, on the other hand, have no problem with animations.
I think that the Long War crew wants to make sure this project is professional, which means, if they are going to do something they want to do it right. In this case that would mean, if you can carry ADVENT corpses out, you should be able to carry snakes and drones out as well, which, as you said, is glitchy.
With the same caveat that I do not speak for the dev team proper, that is the impression I get as well.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

DaviBones wrote:Obviously I don't speak for them, but I think that the Long War crew wants to make sure this project is professional, which means, if they are going to do something they want to do it right. In this case that would mean, if you can carry ADVENT corpses out, you should be able to carry snakes and drones out as well, which, as you said, is glitchy. While animating the snake's tail might be feasible, unfortunately, the drone sounds like it would need an all new animation for both the drone and the soldier carrying it, which from the sound of it is not going to happen.
The first time I carried out a Snek gave me a good laugh. And yes the drones are weird too. But I think that can be allowed seeing fixing the animations appears to be too difficult.
JoeShmo

Post by JoeShmo »

DaviBones wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:...you can make it so you have to piece together a few of a particular type of salvage to make it equal to a real one, which would make sense if you are say..salvaging several different pieces of a plasma rifle from different missions. You can "assemble" the parts of a dinosaur together over time ...rather than hoping to find an intact one.
This is all I could think of when I read this :lol: https://youtu.be/rWHniL8MyMM?t=49s
Ha, that's pretty appropriate. And since we're going wayyyyy back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVoPG9HtYF8
prokolyo

Post by prokolyo »

Saph7 wrote:
sarge945 wrote:As you know, in Long War 2, finding alien corpses can be a huge hassle, and can delay your techs significantly. In the same way that my troops can carry unconscious or dead friendly soldiers to the evac zone, why can't we carry dead enemies as well for their corpses?
Because within a couple of weeks, everyone would be making sure to end every single guerilla op by having every remaining soldier pick up 1 corpse each. It'd turn the last five minutes of every single mission into an extremely tedious pick-up-and-move exercise.

The game would then have to be rebalanced around the assumption that players were getting an extra 4-5 corpses every mission, so you'd get fewer rewards from Troop Columns, etc. End result would be that you had exactly as many corpses as you did at the beginning, except now you'd be penalised if you didn't put in your five minutes' corpse retrieval duty every mission.

Players would notice that they weren't any further ahead in supply and complain about still not having enough corpses and would ask why their soldiers could only carry one corpse each. After all, they could manage two if they dragged them, right? And why not carry one corpse to the evac zone, drop it, and go back for another one?

Modders would respond by creating an "Extract Multiple Corpses" mod.

The final result would be one soldier running to the evac zone on a Jailbreak, carrying a stack of 4 Advent Troopers, 2 Advent Captains, 1 Advent Stunlancer, 2 Sectoids, a Viper, a Muton, and three Drones, which someone would screenshot and post to imgur with a caption of 'that's LW2, boys'.

And nobody wants that.

(PS - they're adjusting the alien spawn rates for 1.3, so you shouldn't be bottlenecked on stuff like Andromedon corpses quite so often anymore.)
Laughed my ass off :)))