Peek from concealment

ORIONOX

Peek from concealment

Post by ORIONOX »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =865511007

Hey was just wondering if anyone's tried long war 2 with this mod, and what your thoughts were about it balance wise. From the utility side of things it seems to work wonders, but I was wondering if it would have an extreme impact on balance.
Doctor Sticks

Re: Peek from concealment

Post by Doctor Sticks »

I think it is excellent. It makes stealth a lot more sensible, and you no longer have to be afraid that the one spot on the rooftop you go to just happens to be in range of some random mook, and you get spotted.

It probably makes the stealth easier, but I don't take issue with that. Patch 1.3 is supposed to address stealth anyways, so it might not even be an issue. The way the mod works currently is how I am used to playing now, can't think of going back.
ORIONOX

Post by ORIONOX »

Doctor Sticks wrote:. Patch 1.3 is supposed to address stealth anyways, so it might not even be an issue. The way the mod works currently is how I am used to playing now, can't think of going back.
is it? what are they changing?
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

They're not changing stealth in the way this mod does. What they're changing is how many units per pod and how many pods per map there'll be on lower-end missions.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

I haven't tried the mod, but I love the idea of something that actually encourages me to go into buildings and on top of roofs while in concealment. Would be great to see it worked into a future version LW2.
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

Well, the mod works perfectly fine with LW2 right now and all, so I'd recommend using it. You're allowed to do that, you know: Use mods to make the game more catered to your desires. :P Also, are you Stefan from SA? If so, I remember you from back in about 2000 kicking my ass at Sacrifice and then we played another match when I discovered you on the SA Forums like a decade ago, haha.
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

Clibanarius wrote:Well, the mod works perfectly fine with LW2 right now and all, so I'd recommend using it. You're allowed to do that, you know: Use mods to make the game more catered to your desires. :P Also, are you Stefan from SA? If so, I remember you from back in about 2000 kicking my ass at Sacrifice and then we played another match when I discovered you on the SA Forums like a decade ago, haha.
Ha yes, I did play Sacrifice way back in the day, most underappreciated game ever made.
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

Awesome, so I was right in identifying you as someone to look up to, strategically! Haha. Anyway, Peek From Concealment is a great mod, I'd recommend running with it since the vanilla LOS system is kinda bullshit; it only gives you a few instances of heavy cover blocking LOS, low cover blocking LOS when at a height advantage, and the peeking around corners thing so that you don't get spotted from being in a heavy cover spot (a building corner, for instance) when the enemy isn't on yellow alert yet. Although I'd recommend changing the .ini settings for the mod to remove the sight bonus it grants to enemy units by default.
Autoclave

Post by Autoclave »

The mod should have been part of Vanilla. Most of the changes it does, make perfect sense.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Clibanarius wrote:Well, the mod works perfectly fine with LW2 right now and all, so I'd recommend using it. You're allowed to do that, you know: Use mods to make the game more catered to your desires. :P
Yes we can do this, but having a better stealth system built into LW2 itself would definitely make sense with the bigger emphasis the mod puts on stealth missions. In Vanilla it's not much of an issue as stealth is just "approach the enemy and ambush one pod" but LW2 have a much more ambitious and interesting stealth system that would definitely benefit from proper stealth movements.

Also the mod is suffering from a lack of ability to change the red warnings indicating when you are about to break concealment so basically you don't really know where it was safe to move without counting tiles or things like that. This was something that the mod author couldn't fix as it would require changing parts of the game core and making the mod a highlander. LW2 is already a highlander mod so a perfect version of this mod could be integrated in LW2 if both developers wanted to do it. The stand alone mod could even benefit from it as core LW2 changes would be ported to the Community Highlander mod and the author could then add a dependency to the CH mod in order to have correct warnings.

Finally, integrating it might allow better balancing of detection range to compensate "easier" concealed movement but i should really say more natural concealed movement.
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

Totally agreed. I would really like to see those changes from PFC rolled into LW2 proper, complete with red indicators being perfect.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

LordYanaek wrote:Also the mod is suffering from a lack of ability to change the red warnings indicating when you are about to break concealment so basically you don't really know where it was safe to move without counting tiles or things like that. This was something that the mod author couldn't fix as it would require changing parts of the game core and making the mod a highlander.
The comments on https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =865511007 suggest that this might be possible to solve easily like Perfect Information did it.
Although having each mod do a custom system for indicators on its own seems wasted.
Ethereal Commander

Post by Ethereal Commander »

stefan3iii wrote:
Clibanarius wrote:Well, the mod works perfectly fine with LW2 right now and all, so I'd recommend using it. You're allowed to do that, you know: Use mods to make the game more catered to your desires. :P Also, are you Stefan from SA? If so, I remember you from back in about 2000 kicking my ass at Sacrifice and then we played another match when I discovered you on the SA Forums like a decade ago, haha.
Ha yes, I did play Sacrifice way back in the day, most underappreciated game ever made.
Bet the Dev's never fixed the bug where you could stand in front of Death and he would bug and stop going around killing things. Also nerf Pyro
MrStraw

Post by MrStraw »

Have anyone tried it in 1.3?
I was using this mod in 1.2, and I really liked it. But now I read, that 1.3 makes detection range bigger, while this mod also made it slightly bigger, so I was wondering wheter these add up to an extremely big detection range?
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

I'm currently using it with those settings :

Code: Select all

[PeekInConcealment.ConcealmentRules]

; whether to allow peeking out of high cover without being detected.  This is the core of the mod.
HideInHighCover=true

; When enabled, you cannot be detected in cover when you have height advantage.  Allows you to approach the side of roofs, or skylights.
HideWithHeightAdvantage=true

; While in motion (not at the start or end of move) you can move through a few concealment-breaking tiles without being revealed.
; You can tweak this here.  0 puts you back in vanilla, strict mode.
NumGraceTiles=0

; If set > 0, this will buff detection ranges of all enemies by the specified amount of tiles.
; The default is set to 1 to slightly compensate for all the leniency which has been added by the mod.
ExtraDetectionRange=0

; minimum (BASE) detection range to get boosted by the previous parameter.  Used to exclude civs
MinEligibleDetectionRange=5
Basically i changed NumGraceTiles to zero to disable that feature and also set ExtraDetectionRange to zero. This means everything plays normally except that you can take a look around a corner without being spotted which was a rather dumb implementation of "stealth" in vanilla XCOM2.
Those settings also help by keeping the red markers mostly correct.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

With the changes to marker tiles in 1.3, it might be possible to have this work regardless of manual settings.
I just don't have enough details on that changelog note yet to be able to tell ;)