Question on protect supply convoy

Nibelung44

Question on protect supply convoy

Post by Nibelung44 »

In this mission there is no timer and my objectives are to protect the supply and kill all enemies. And there are reinforcements. So, is there a number of reinforcements before I win or I must find the preplaced pods and kill them before an infinite number of reinforcements wipe my squad?
And is there really some supply to protect?
Dwarfling

Re: Question on protect supply convoy

Post by Dwarfling »

Reinforcements are finite. You just have to kill them all. There're no pre-placed pods. I don't think that "protect the supplies" means you have to not destroy the boxes, it's just fluff.
Nibelung44

Post by Nibelung44 »

On 2nd turn, only one reinforcement arrived and yet I faced 2 pods at once. It seemed to me that one was preplaced, as the other was definitively the one out of the Advent shuttle.
But glad they are finite.
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

Yes, there is usually one or two pods pre-existing on the map on supply retals, I can't recall any of my own that haven't had one.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

It varies with difficulty. On Veteran, you virtually never have a pre-existing pod (it might have happened once, but I'm not convinced it didn't just drop in out of LOS). It's not uncommon to get two reinforcements in one turn though. Two in the first drop and two in the last drop normally.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

seananigans wrote:Yes, there is usually one or two pods pre-existing on the map on supply retals, I can't recall any of my own that haven't had one.
I have never ever seen pre-placed pods on supply retaliations. I usually dash with all rebels towards the squad in the first turns and never met a pod on my way (crossing all the map). Are you sure you are not talking about recruitment retaliations?
Nibelung44 wrote:On 2nd turn, only one reinforcement arrived and yet I faced 2 pods at once. It seemed to me that one was preplaced, as the other was definitively the one out of the Advent shuttle.
Several pods can drop in a single turn on those missions and sometimes the animation for one of them can be skipped (i guess it's a game engine glitch) so that might explain what happened to you (teleporting alien pods can be especially hard to see in my experience when they arrive at the same time as another pod, you usually hear a short teleport sound but that's it).
burns

Post by burns »

Are you maybe talking about two different types of retaliations? If I'm not mistaking, the recruit retal is the one where there are RNFs every turn and you have to pick up the rebels and run them to evac.
The supply retal is the one with fighting rebels placed on the other end of the map and RNFs dropping in from the second turn, once or twice even two in one turn depending on difficulty. The latter one also has a preplaced pod, I think, and just runs out after a certain amount of turns.
Or am I confusing something here?
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

I've played a million of these missions, on Legendary, because I like to put a lot of rebels on supplies in mid\late game.

There are no preplaced pods on protect supply convoy missions. You'll have 2 pods reinforce the turn after your first. Next you'll have 1 pod reinforce two turns later, and then more reinforcements every 2 turns after that. I can't remember how many total waves there are, about 5 I think.

Btw these missions are super easy, as long as you bring enough damage. After you see where the first two pods drop, setup a nice camp nearby and murder the aliens as they come in, because they continue to drop in roughly the same area. Enjoy your XP.

Only other tip I have, is to spend the first turn sprinting your main group towards the center of the map. Occasionally the aliens spawn more towards your rebels, and you want to be close enough to actually reach them or your rebels will be in trouble.
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

stefan3iii wrote:I've played a million of these missions, on Legendary, because I like to put a lot of rebels on supplies in mid\late game.

There are no preplaced pods on protect supply convoy missions. You'll have 2 pods reinforce the turn after your first. Next you'll have 1 pod reinforce two turns later, and then more reinforcements every 2 turns after that. I can't remember how many total waves there are, about 5 I think.

Btw these missions are super easy, as long as you bring enough damage. After you see where the first two pods drop, setup a nice camp nearby and murder the aliens as they come in, because they continue to drop in roughly the same area. Enjoy your XP.

Only other tip I have, is to spend the first turn sprinting your main group towards the center of the map. Occasionally the aliens spawn more towards your rebels, and you want to be close enough to actually reach them or your rebels will be in trouble.
This is 100% incorrect, at least historically (1.2 may have changed things). My campaign that was begun during 1.1 experienced pre-existing pods on supply retaliations. There is no mistaking this, my squad moved and found aliens hiding under a cliff, on my first turn.

It's entirely possible that 1.2 has changed it such that this can no longer be the case, or it's entirely possible this occurrence is random, and you've seen extremely favorable RNG (it can happen).
stefan3iii

Post by stefan3iii »

seananigans wrote: This is 100% incorrect, at least historically (1.2 may have changed things). My campaign that was begun during 1.1 experienced pre-existing pods on supply retaliations. There is no mistaking this, my squad moved and found aliens hiding under a cliff, on my first turn.

It's entirely possible that 1.2 has changed it such that this can no longer be the case, or it's entirely possible this occurrence is random, and you've seen extremely favorable RNG (it can happen).
Well if it's RNG, I've never seen it, after doing like 40 of these missions in 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2.
Maebalzurakin

Post by Maebalzurakin »

I am curious to know what rewards you guys get for this mission.

For mine I get absolutely nothing and the summary screen where it usually lists the items just says "hello".

I am however, running about 60 mods, so one of them is probably causing this.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

The reward for the mission is 'Unhindered Operations'.

Not to mention the pile of free xp.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

chrisb wrote:The reward for the mission is 'Unhindered Operations'.
Which basically means you can keep doing work with your rebels. If you fail this mission you can't gather supplies for some time. It's a mission where ADVENT is attacking you and you are trying not to loose, welcome to the other side of the fight :lol:

That being said Supply Raids are usually quite easy and like chrisb said, you get experience for doing those so they are not really "bad" missions.
Maebalzurakin

Post by Maebalzurakin »

I dont mind not getting additional supplies as the ones on the trucks represent the ones I get at the end of the month. But since there is no evac on this mission, shouldnt we at least get the bodies?
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Maebalzurakin wrote:

I dont mind not getting additional supplies as the ones on the trucks represent the ones I get at the end of the month. But since there is no evac on this mission, shouldnt we at least get the bodies?
I think that is done mostly for balance reasons. The raid/retal missions are sort of easy to 'bait' and if they gave corpses you'd have some pretty epic amounts of supplies from the black market. If you set it up right, you could just rotate the 3 raid types in each region and be swimming in MSGTs and supplies. In fact you can do that already to get MSGTs by May/June just off the free xp.