Enemy AI Shuts Down?

marceror

Enemy AI Shuts Down?

Post by marceror »

Last night I was playing a mission to prevent reinforcements in a region. As I recall the enemy activity was very heavy.

The mission started pretty normally. I managed to land a great flamethrower shot against a pod of 6 sectoids, a muton and a trooper, hitting 7 of 8. There were also 2 turrets and a pod of 3 (a viper and 2 advent soldiers I believe). No issues with the mission.

As that battle was winding down, a "rainbow" pod of 8 advent came into view on the far side of a train. I had my grenadier launch a grenade blindly hoping to wound some. I did, and I set the rest of my squad on overwatch waiting for what would come next.

Nothing ever happened. Long story short, I did move in against that pod, and they never attempted to move, attack, overwatch, anything. It was if they were stunned. There were 2 additional pods, 3 and 7, I believe, that also made no attempts to move or fight back when I killed them.

I'm currently in September in my campaign. I haven't seen this happen before. I'm curious if anyone else has seen it. I haven't had the chance to play beyond that mission yet, to determine if the issue was a one time fluke, or what.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Re: Enemy AI Shuts Down?

Post by Devon_v »

I've encountered it twice, both times on Troop Column Ambushes, and both times when a pod patrolled through a fire. All the pods just stop moving. For me, activating the pod which set itself on fire results in no scamper moves being taken, but afterwards all pods and units resume movement and combat normally.

I guess the AI ends up with a set of variables it doesn't have a case for.
marceror

Post by marceror »

Good to know I'm not the only one. I could not find a way to reactivate. The pod that I burned with my technical never shutdown. Maybe the pod that I hit with a grenade somehow end up in some fire, but me sending soldiers at near point blank range to shoot them didn't have any affect. Hopefully this won't happen again....

If it does, I'll try to be more methodical in approaching it, and file a formal bug report.
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

It's happened to me twice or so in however many hours I've been playing. Just restart the game and either load a save from before they shut down or finish that mission and move on. It won't happen a second time in a row, I don't think.
marceror

Post by marceror »

Thanks again for the comments. Again, had a small lump in my throat when I turned in for bed last night that perhaps my campaign had somehow been corrupted and might be subject to this issue going forward.

I was choosing to believe otherwise, but it was still a latent thought. I'm feeling comforted that this is a rare, but somewhat known issue.
RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

I had the same thing on a facility mission.
Hacked a drone from concealment, trojan virus tiriggered, then all pods stopped moving.
Best guess is that something cleared the pod jobs.

edit for post alcohol bad spelling
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Yeah I've had this exact thing when pods patrolled through fire and burned one of the members of a pod. Probably belongs in bug reports if it's not there already.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Postmaster wrote:Yeah I've had this exact thing when pods patrolled through fire and burned one of the members of a pod. Probably belongs in bug reports if it's not there already.
One of the devs is very aware of this issue and tried to fix it, but it's pretty hard to fix with what's available to modders, apparently.

Reloading the game tends to fix the AI in my experience, and I guess that's the best we can do.
marceror

Post by marceror »

It's good to know that in the future a save and reload should resolve. I probably should have tried that immediately, in retrospect.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

I have so many mods installed I wasn't sure it was even a LW2 thing until marceror brought it up.
marceror

Post by marceror »

It certainly looks to be a Long War 2 thing, as it's never happened to me previously. My current LW2 game is very sparse on mods, just a cosmetic, voice and a couple of QoL mods. Nothing that changes combat balance in any way, shape, or form. I wanted to experience a pure LW2 game my first time in.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Here is more information about the bug:
AI Freeze

Apparently there are two different bugs going on here.

Ways to fix it:
- Exit the game and start it again.
- Remove all your temporary config files from MyDocuments/Games/XCOM2/Config files. New ones will be generated once the game starts next time.

I have also encountered it once, on a HQ Assault mission when I launched a Flashbang from concealment. I did break concealment, but that also broke the AI and no reloading helped. I had to finish the mission without any resistance from the aliens.