Questions about engineering.

josna238

Questions about engineering.

Post by josna238 »

Are all the projects on proving ground and on the engineering one item projects? There are any "all squad benefits" project?

Are there any way to decrease engineering costs?
Undershaft

Re: Questions about engineering.

Post by Undershaft »

You mean like in vanilla, where every soldier would get access to the new level of weaponry and armor? As far as I know, the answer is no. The proving ground projects only create a prototype which you can then mass produce cheaper in engineering. You still have to build every item individually, though.

There is a continental bonus which makes proving ground projects cheaper. You are not guaranteed to get it, though.

As for decreasing engineering costs, I don't think that having more engineers will make production cheaper, as it did in XCOM 1 (if I remember correctly). They reduce building times, though, if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone confirm this?

Now that I think of it: What exactly does "Engineering Research" do? Does "do more with less" refer to time or supplies?
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

It reduces the number of engineers required to manufacture an item. Some of the late game items require 5 or more engineers on your staff to manufacture. In the event that you cannot find that many engineers, or have lost some to combat (it can happen in certain retaliations), you can make up for it with engineering research.

The basic research project does the same, but for scientists.

Items are supposed to be expensive. You have to consider who benefits most from the gear you have rather than pushing a button and sending 30 soldiers to tier 2. Supplies will eventually flow freely in the mid game if you are expanding and developing your havens effectively.
trihero

Post by trihero »

josna238 wrote:Are all the projects on proving ground and on the engineering one item projects? There are any "all squad benefits" project?

Are there any way to decrease engineering costs?
All the proving grounds projects are individually built items. In other words, there are no "all squad benefits."

There is one and only one way to decrease engineering costs: the continental bonus Spare Parts. Basic engineering does not reduce research time (only staffed engineers, of which there is a max of 2, reduce time), nor does it reduce resource costs.