Dark Events in LW2??? Seriously?

sirburton

Dark Events in LW2??? Seriously?

Post by sirburton »

Hi guys
What about dark events in Lw2 ? I don't even know right know how many of them are still active.
First, are the events permanent in Lw 2?
If yes, is there any way (via script?) I can change that?
Also it looks ridicolous to me that if a venom projectile events happens in center europe, it will affect asian region too.
Since in LW2 you will get, if you're lucky, just one mission to counter 1 dark event
These events should affect only the near regions
My Fearless Xcoms! --> Here
Mooncabbage

Re: Dark Events in LW2??? Seriously?

Post by Mooncabbage »

Some Dark Events are permanent. There is a mod, An Easier War, which makes permanent Dark Events last 2 months at most. It preserves some of the difficulty without it totally snowballing.
MacroNova

Post by MacroNova »

Some are definitely more obnoxious than others. The one for earlier/more frequent reinforcements is particularly shitty.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

You get one shot at stopping it, but if you do, it's gone for good.

Most of them can be countered by equipment. Hazmat vests to deal with Venom Rounds for instance. But overall they're a semi-random way for the aliens to tech up in varied ways from campaign to campaign.

They aren't a regional thing, they're ADVENT-wide projects now, the equivalent of XCOM's own research.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

The ones labeled "tactical" are permanent. Most (all?) of the other DEs time out.

If it helps any, DEs aren't even half as bad as they seem. The descriptions are very misleading. When it says things like "ADVENT gains perk x" what it really means is that some percentage (varies wildly from DE to DE) of one specific enemy class get that perk. So what it means is that you start getting uncommon (not rare, exactly, but not ubiquitous either) "leader" aliens with a few extra powers. I forget which class the venom rounds upgrade applies to, but it's certainly not all aliens, and it's not even all members of whichever class it applies to.

The wiki has a listing of them all and what they do:

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Dark_Events_(LW2)

For some reason, this forum truncates URLS when it encounters the ) symbol, so you will need to copy paste the URL rather than click the link.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Does alien conditioning and the other one that grants hp wear off?

Does firewall wear off?

I don't think they do, but they are not listed as tactical.

I wish the DEs in game would be clearly labeled as permanent or not, as well as what they do precisely in %.
DuskNite

Post by DuskNite »

Veteran September
Center Mass
Combat Awareness
Iron Skin
Formidable
Lightning Reflexes
Tactical Sense
Poison Ammo
3 Hp boosts
Advent Scopes
3 other bullshit that I cant remember.

20 hp tier 3 ADVENT troops are a normal occurrence for me.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

Mooncabbage wrote:Some Dark Events are permanent. There is a mod, An Easier War, which makes permanent Dark Events last 2 months at most. It preserves some of the difficulty without it totally snowballing.
Can this mod work with LW2 ?
Some DEs are not that threatening. But for example, are:
-hp boost
-armor boost
-more reinforcements
permanent ?
Mavoc

Post by Mavoc »

Antifringe wrote:http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Dark_Events_(LW2)
For some reason, this forum truncates URLS when it encounters the ) symbol, so you will need to copy paste the URL rather than click the link.
This is why we have the [ url ] bb codes
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Dark_Events_(LW2)
brunodema

Post by brunodema »

They surely could be better described, so you could know the exact duration, chance to apply and sometimes effects. I wonder if lw1 had the same system (announcing the permanent alien upgrades), if everyone would also be losing their shit like they are right now :lol:
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

sirburton wrote:
Mooncabbage wrote:Some Dark Events are permanent. There is a mod, An Easier War, which makes permanent Dark Events last 2 months at most. It preserves some of the difficulty without it totally snowballing.
-hp boost
-armor boost
-more reinforcements
permanent ?
The "Easier War" mods are specifically made for LW2.
Amusingly the HP boost DEs are among the few tactical dark events that it is virtually impossible to avoid and apply to every single unit. You will eventually get all three and they are permanent, the game is balanced around you having those.
The armor boost one is the Formidable one, right? It is permanent but it has only a 15% chance to apply to advent units and mutons.
The added reinforcements one is strategic, it'll wear off in a month.
sirburton

Post by sirburton »

JulianSkies wrote:
sirburton wrote:
-hp boost
-armor boost
-more reinforcements
permanent ?
Amusingly the HP boost DEs are among the few tactical dark events that it is virtually impossible to avoid and apply to every single unit. You will eventually get all three and they are permanent, the game is balanced around you having those.
The armor boost one is the Formidable one, right? It is permanent but it has only a 15% chance to apply to advent units and mutons.
Glad to hear about reinforcements. Groups of 2-4 raging bulls Mutons per mission weres tarting to piss me off.
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

sirburton wrote:
JulianSkies wrote:
sirburton wrote: Can this mod work with LW2 ?
-hp boost
-armor boost
-more reinforcements
permanent ?
Glad to hear about reinforcements. Groups of 2-4 raging bulls Mutons per mission weres tarting to piss me off.
Just figured I'd chime in with an anecdote:

I just finished up my first HQ assault, and since I had plenty of time to evaluate everything, I did notice that while I do have one +HP dark event in play, it did not apply to every unit globally. I'm on veteran, so base HP for a drone is 4 + 1 armor. Of the regular (non-hunter/advanced) drones I encountered, two had 5hp 1armor, and two had 4hp 1armor. All regular troopers had 4 HP instead of the base 3, but a few of the specialized troopers (sentries, gunners, engineers) had the base 4 or 5 respectively, as opposed to the buffed 5 or 6. The one regular MEC I encountered had his normal HP/armor allotment, and then I encountered an advanced MEC and an Archer for the first time, so I can't comment on those. The turrets I encountered also seemed to have base HP across the board (4 for regular, 7 for heavy, although I might be mis-remembering base HP for heavy at 7 rather than 6).

TLDR: Apparently (bugged or not), even the +HP dark event isn't 100% global, similar to most other tactical DE's.