Patch 1.2 To-Hit Changes

Manifest

Patch 1.2 To-Hit Changes

Post by Manifest »

Hello, I was just wondering about this upcoming change

"Crit is now clamped to 0 to 100; Dodge is now capped at 100; Negative dodge now acts like positive crit, allowing only a single tier upgrade. This should prevent edge cases where excessively high dodge or high/low crit scores had unintended impacts on the to-hit calculations."

And what effect exactly it'll have on the to-hit? Will it prevent cases like this?

Or is that penalty working as intended? I read the notes as only fixing the cases where crit goes above 100%, so it doesn't seem like it'll fix a case like this.
Shaenix

Re: Patch 1.2 To-Hit Changes

Post by Shaenix »

I'm thinking you are losing 10% crit due to graze?
Or we are talking about something totally different? XD
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Shaenix wrote:I'm thinking you are losing 10% crit due to graze?
Oh, yeah that's definitely what I'm talking about. Thanks I didn't understand it.
sectoidfodder

Post by sectoidfodder »

That's not what the to-hit mod means. You need to hit as a prerequisite to critting, so with 89% chance for a solid hit (99% - 10% graze band) and 90% chance to crit if you hit, your net crit chance is 89% * 90% = 80%.

The 1.2 To-hit changes won't affect this shot because you don't have a negative or >100 crit chance, and your target doesn't have a negative dodge chance.
Shaenix

Post by Shaenix »

Manifest wrote:
Oh, yeah that's definitely what I'm talking about. Thanks I didn't understand it.
This may help you.
wei270

Post by wei270 »

the upcoming patch will not change anything for the case you presented because
1. you didn't have 100 crit
2. enemy don't have 100 dodge

i think what the patch try to prevent is said you have 150% to crit and you roll a 35 when you have 65 aim(game roll use inverse like during hacking for some reason). and it would graze because it is within the +/-10% graze bran, at current moment it may upgrade twice like a graze hit would now crit, the upcoming patch will make it so that graze will only hit (one upgrade) and never a crit(twice upgrade).
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

Can anyone explain this: what is the -10% "To Hit" Crit penalty in OP's screenshot?
DariusWolfe

Post by DariusWolfe »

I've also been wondering this. I'm half assuming that this is a compatibility error between Perfect Information and Long War 2, much like it's still reading Dodge as a direct reduction of hit-chance.

I wouldn't mind some sort of confirmation, tho', as that unexplained crit penalty has been bothering me since I started with LW2.
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

wobuffet wrote:Can anyone explain this: what is the -10% "To Hit" Crit penalty in OP's screenshot?
Its a math cludge. In XCOM 2 a single roll determines whether or not you hit, crit, graze, or miss. The way this was calculated meant that dodge and crit calculations were based on a percentage of all shots taken.

Such if you had 10% crit, and 20% to-hit while shooting an enemy with 10% dodge you would have a 10% chance to crit them, a 10% chance to graze them, and an 80% chance to miss them. What this means is that low percentage shots are highly likely to crit kill you unless the player had a good amount of dodge.

Rather in Long War 2 the ideal is that if you have an 20% chance to hit, 10% crit, and 10% dodge then the final crit rate should be 10% of 20% = 2%. And similarly the final dodge rate 10% of 20% = 2%.

In order to acheive this with the rolling system that the game uses you would have to apply a penalty to crit (and dodge) equal to -8%.

Exact same thing is happening here. 80% of regular hits will be crits(crit turns regular hit into crit), 80% of grazes will be regular hits(crit turns graze into regular hit), and 1% of crits will be regular hits(dodge turns crit into regular hit).

With the 99% hit rate and a 10% graze band 80% of the 89% shots that fully hit will be a crit =.712%, 1% of crits will be dodged. = .70488. So the 80% crit rate needs to be moved down to 70.488 in order to keep the math right. So you have a -10% to your crit score to account for to-hit calculations.
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

Goumindong wrote:
wobuffet wrote:Can anyone explain this: what is the -10% "To Hit" Crit penalty in OP's screenshot?
Its a math cludge.

With the 99% hit rate and a 10% graze band 80% of the 89% shots that fully hit will be a crit =.712%, 1% of crits will be dodged. = .70488. So the 80% crit rate needs to be moved down to 70.488 in order to keep the math right. So you have a -10% to your crit score to account for to-hit calculations.
Thanks for this! That makes sense!