Question about % hit mechanics (Overwatch, % shot and perfect information).

josna238

Question about % hit mechanics (Overwatch, % shot and perfect information).

Post by josna238 »

I had an sectoid flashbanged overwatching, I did an aid protocol over a soldier and then this soldier made a dash, the sectoid did the shoot and missed, but the perfect information HUD said me a 18% shot. I was expecting something like 5% so, what was wrong? how does work the penalty for overwatch? or is a problem of perfect information mod?

And in adition, If I a soldier walks along the line of a low cover to trigger overwatch, te low cover bonus does still aply in adition to overwatch penalty?
trihero

Re: Question about % hit mechanics (Overwatch, % shot and perfect information).

Post by trihero »

I mean it seems right on the dot to me.

First you calculate all the aim bonuses/modifiers before overwatch penalty
Sectoid aim is +75
-20 from aid protocol
-25 from flash bang

= 30

then overwatch penalty against dashing is a 0.6 multiplier = 18%

Why do you say that's not what you expected?

(multiplier is 0.7 if not dashing)

Yes, cover affects overwatch shots, you calculate it before the overwatch penalty.

I believe the skill cool under pressure and fire discpline apply their bonuses after the overwatch penalty so +10% is literally +10% for those skills.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

OK, Thanks. I missunderstood the overwatch. I thinked that was flat penalty, but as you said the penalty is proportional, so now I understand. So now is more difficult to force 0% shoots than in vanilla. Even a poisoned, flashbanged sectoid could instakill my aid protocol dashing rookie!
trihero

Post by trihero »

josna238 wrote:OK, Thanks. I missunderstood the overwatch. I thinked that was flat penalty, but as you said the penalty is proportional, so now I understand. So now is more difficult to force 0% shoots than in vanilla. Even a poisoned, flashbanged sectoid could instakill my aid protocol dashing rookie!
Well, if your aid protocol were upgraded to 25 defense (mkii gremlin), then he'd be at 0 with the poison's 25 modifier as well, but yeah that would be 0% regardless of overwatch penalty or not.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

In theory, yes. But if you stack up enough debuffs like that and it shouldn't be too hard -- poison is really strong. I gasbombed an ADVENT squad once and I'm pretty sure some of them actually had negative to-hit chances showing on their flyovers.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Yeah I remember in the ini files somewhere they have some checks for negative hits to make sure the aliens do something more reasonable than shoot under those circumstances : P

It's pretty easy for xcom to get 0% hits, that shotgun accuracy drop off oh mai.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I think I have understood mechanics by reading the ufopaedia, but could anybody told me if the next example is right?

I use PERFECT INFORMATION MOD and got this info with a rookie from a flanked roof shoot over an officer:

Hit: 82%
Dodge: 12%
Critical: 29%
Damage: 3-5
Critical Damage: +2

So according to UFOPAEDIA the base "to hit" is:

72% normal hit
20% graze hit
8% miss

But don't understand how dodge and critical counters each other does the values (12% and 29%) mean that 12% of shoots will down a level, 29% of shoots will rise a level and the other 69% of shoots won't change the level?

Thanks in advance for answers.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

In this case
  • 12% of your 72% hits will become grazes and 29% will become crits
  • 12% of your 20% original grazes will become misses and 29% will become normal hits
  • 12% of your 29%*72%=20% crits will become normal hits because of dodge cancelling your crit
Unless i made an error, your final chances would be (rounded)
  • Crit : 17.5%
  • Normal Hit : 51.5%
  • Graze : 20.5 %
  • Total miss : 10.5%
See this thread for more information http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 20&t=23695
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Maybe is a stupid question, but I couldn't find it on UFOpaedia. How much is the reduction of a graze? Is the half, the 33% or how much? And is it rounded up or down?

For example a regular shot of 3-5 damage will deal a graze damage of...
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

It's half and i think it's rounded down (but i'm not sure about the rounding).
So 3-5 will be 1-2 or 2-3 depending on rounding. 4-6 will always be 2-3. Pretty big reduction.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

josna238 wrote:Maybe is a stupid question, but I couldn't find it on UFOpaedia. How much is the reduction of a graze? Is the half, the 33% or how much? And is it rounded up or down?

For example a regular shot of 3-5 damage will deal a graze damage of...
It's half damage, just as it was in vanilla. Isn't it documented somewhere in the game itself?
sectoidfodder

Post by sectoidfodder »

Hit: 82%
Dodge: 12%
Critical: 29%
Damage: 3-5
Critical Damage: +2

The UI already did all the math factoring in dodge/crit chance. Your finally shot actually has 12% to graze and 29% to crit. UI hit chance doesn't include graze band though so you have (82+10-12-29) = 51% to land a normal damage hit.

Final shot breakdown is 29% crit - 51% hit - 12% graze - 8% miss.

If you took the shot, PI would say 29% crit - 41% hit - 12% graze - 18% miss because it's assuming UI includes graze band when it doesn't.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Anybody knows how does it work the rocket aim on technicians? I notice thas says 4 tiles but does it depend on range?, depends on the soldier's aim, if we did a blue movement? Do the add ons help?
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

josna238 wrote:Anybody knows how does it work the rocket aim on technicians? I notice thas says 4 tiles but does it depend on range?, depends on the soldier's aim, if we did a blue movement? Do the add ons help?
Supposedly it depends on the soldiers aim.

When you shoot a rocket a random direction is chosen. Then a roll is made on your rocketeers base aim(bonuses from weapons don't count, bonuses from skills which effect general stats do). If you "roll under" (which is to say that you have a 65% chance to succeed if your aim is 65) then the rocket does not scatter. If you "roll over" then the rocket scatters one tile and you roll again on the soldiers aim.

The "max scatter" indicates the maximum number of times this can occur. Such, with a base aim rookie promoted to technical you have 67 aim and as such

67% chance for zero scatter 22.11% chance for one tile of scatter, 7.2% chance of 3 tiles of scatter. so on and so forth.

Now, this distribution does not quite seem right to me. So its likely the case that there is some inherent aim malus or base scatter not being accounted for.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

Rocket scatter seems to be using the same values from Long War 1, but the UI isn't displaying the actual scatter yet. It's effected by soldier aim, aim boni on the soldier (not their weapon), the total distance of the shot, if the soldier has both actions available or not, and if they have Fire in the Hole or not.

In 1.2 it shows you actual scatter distance in real time as you target instead of just the maximum.
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

Goumindong wrote: When you shoot a rocket a random direction is chosen.
Yep. This matches my game experience. 8-)

Another PSA on the Stevie Wonder Rocket -- the scatter gets worse if you don't fire it with the FIRST action.

I had understood that if you move with your first action the scatter worsens, however, this applies not just to moving but also to re-loading your primary weapon with the first action!

Ouch.
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

wiki says that there are two aim penalties

1) If soldier has only one action remaining -30.
2) Per Tile > 9: 3

edit: Additionally it appears that the scatter is not iterative but rather independent.

"max scatter =4" means that you roll on your aim 4 times and scatter the number of tiles you fail.