Tips for (Unofficial) Translators

rakoon79

Tips for (Unofficial) Translators

Post by rakoon79 »

For those translators who wish to help "crowdsourcing translation" that goes on from time to time, but don't know the official terms used and what not, I decided to make a short tip.

1) Recommended Application : Notetpad++ (or any other application does similar stuff). Default Notepad that everyone has on their Windows can still do the same trick, but Notepad++'s colored texts and organization will make your life easier. In this post, I will use the term "Using Notepad++," in general cases. Feel free to use your preferred application in place of Notepad++

2) Using Notepad++, open the English files :

a) Steam > Steamapps > Common > XCOM 2 > XComGame > Localization > INT > XComGame.int

b) Steam > Steamapps > Workshop > Content > 268500 > 844674609 > Localization > (we will open multiple files here)
i) XComGame.int
ii) LW_Overhaul.int
iii) (Depending on what the topic is, go into a related folder and open XComGame.int within it. For example, if the translation we are to do is a LW2 Perk-related, go into LW_PerkPack_Integrated folder and open XComGame.int file)

3) Using Notepad++, open the same files as above BUT IN YOUR OWN LANGUAGE :

- Basically, the paths above are the same, except under the "Localization" folder, you don't go into INT Folder anymore. You now go into your own language folder. For example, I use Korean language, so I will go into KOR folder, and open XComGame.kor

- For 3rd file in step 2, there is no separate folder for each language. You just have to look for different file extension names to tell which file is for your language. (e.g. *.kor would be Korean, *.esn would be Espanol(or Spanish), *.jpn would be Japanese, etc)

4) (Explanation on the files opened) :

- The file we opened at (2a) under "XCOM 2" folder is default vanilla fonts/behaviors. For stuff that hasn't changed from Vanilla, or the concepts that were introduced in Vanilla will be found here

- The first and second file we opened at (2b) are generally big overhauls made in LW2. Most of the time, what we are translating should be inside this file

- Files we open at (2 b iii) will be specific to each folder. AlienPack_Integrated will only have alien-related stuff, while perk-related stuff will only be avaialble in PerkPack_Integrated.

5) (Let's try hands-on work to show you how I do it. Let's try to find out what "WEAPON UPGRADE" translates to in your language. I know that "WEAPON UPGRADE" is fairly easy word that you don't need to look up a dictionary or anything, but since it would be nice to have some consistency, let's look up what the official term is)

i) "WEAPON UPGRADE" is a concept introduced in Vanilla. So we only need to look at (2a) file. Remember to open BOTH XComGame.INT and XComGame.KOR (or your language)

ii) In XComGame.INT File, you search for "WEAPON UPGRADE", and eventually you will find the following section :

m_strCustomizeWeapon=WEAPON UPGRADE

iii) Now, we need to know what the relevant string tag that is attached to WEAPON UPGRADE, which is easy. It's what's written on the left-hand side of the section, which is m_strCustomizeWeapon

iv) Now that we know the relevant string tag, we look up what it's called in your language. So open up XComGame.KOR (or your language), and search for "m_strCustomizeWeapon" (without the quotation marks obviously). The first thing that comes up is :

m_strCustomizeWeapon="무기 업그레이드"

v) Notice how the left-hand sides of both parts are identical to each other? "m_strCustomizeWeapon == m_strCustomizeWeapon"
This means we found the correct term that is officially used. So, we now know "WEAPON UPGRADE (ENG) == 무기 업그레이드 (KOR)"

True, this may take some time (possibly more than the devs want to?) and it's relatively labour-ish work, but it does help to maintain the consistency. Please keep in mind that this post is just a TIP for those who need it, otherwise I believe PI would be fine with semi-inconsistency as long as they make sense?