[suggestion] anti dark events.

warbrand2

[suggestion] anti dark events.

Post by warbrand2 »

I love the perminate dark events in LW2 though I wish there was a way to counter them cause some times you may get an unlucky set of events that can result in a run being completely scrapped through no fault of your own just RNG screwing you over.

So for this I suggest counter events, these would be special events which the player has to gun for.

for example advent improve the armor of their soldiers, causing you to require an explosive route why not hit the factory making hte armor and give them a massive debuff.

SUGGESTION: RESISTANCE ASSUALTS
info: these are missions in which the player selects from a liberated area, these missions are one per area per month and allow you to either counter a dark event, cripple a near by regions defenses, or buff your forces in all near by regions.
each mission will have two to three choices at the end, standard, dark, and rare. standard is a basic this will happen if you complete the mission, thes range from temporarily reducing advents health to outing faceless in the area. Dark, either counters a dark event or counters advents plans in the area, examples are removing improved armor/ ammo events, or taking out mechanical enemies for a while. RARE, is not an option but something that has a slight chance of being rewarded, only a few mission types have rare endings.

resistance assault mission ideas.

factory hit: player sends in the resistance to hit an advent factory (there is a PCP for this), with the main objective to level the place either with x4 or a lot of explosives.
game play: player gets haven leader and troops to hit factory, always vulnerable and has at minimum 4 turrets defending.
completion standard: ADVENT troops armor and health reduced by one (doesn't effect mechanical or main aliens)
completion counter dark: counters any armor of health improvement dark events reducing them by one.

renforcement block: player sends an xcom squad to destroy an advent staging area
gameplay: player msut destroy an advent arms depot which has several transports and supplies.
completion standard: infiltration missions are easier in near by areas for one month
completion counter dark: counters reinforcement type dark events

infiltration mission: player sends a small squad (max 3 men) into infiltrate an advent data center.
game play: stealth, player is to get their squad in to the end and shut down the place with out alerting the mechanical gaurds. only has robotic enemies.
completion standard: reveals all faceless in nearby contacted areas.
completion dark event: mechanical shutdown, for the next month all mechanical enemies have hack resistance cut in half.
completion rare: haven gets a sectopod (note sectopod can not be healed so is damaged as missions go by)

friends in strange places: a rescue mission to contact an advent defector in their place of work. this is a facility attack mission which gives bonuses like the ability to remotely turn all robots to your side for two or three turns.
completion standard: scientist or engineer +2 resistance members
completion dark: removes one dark event of any time
completion rare: demoralized forces, reduces advent will in region + near by regions for a month.
faleg
Long War EU Crew

Re: [suggestion] anti dark events.

Post by faleg »

I like the idea - I'm all for difficulty, but not the "invisible hand of go fuck yourself" kind - having some options to focus n and make your life easier is also a nice "side quest", and could be handled like a mini-liberation - find an intel clue to a VIP or loot piece with facility location, get it, research, assault and x4 a small base - neat little side line derailing the main objective, but optional.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

faleg wrote:I like the idea - I'm all for difficulty, but not the "invisible hand of go fuck yourself" kind - having some options to focus n and make your life easier is also a nice "side quest", and could be handled like a mini-liberation - find an intel clue to a VIP or loot piece with facility location, get it, research, assault and x4 a small base - neat little side line derailing the main objective, but optional.
Yar, there's another thread which rebooted up and is discussing this issue too. Its how I feel exactly, being outside of our ability to interact with the dark events etc. I wish there was an INI change I could make to simply make it so they last 2-3 months for now, and then resets in the interim. There are some technical difficulties in attaching dark events to facilities in game from the sounds of it.
Cloista

Post by Cloista »

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Valaska wrote:
faleg wrote:I like the idea - I'm all for difficulty, but not the "invisible hand of go fuck yourself" kind - having some options to focus n and make your life easier is also a nice "side quest", and could be handled like a mini-liberation - find an intel clue to a VIP or loot piece with facility location, get it, research, assault and x4 a small base - neat little side line derailing the main objective, but optional.
Yar, there's another thread which rebooted up and is discussing this issue too. Its how I feel exactly, being outside of our ability to interact with the dark events etc. I wish there was an INI change I could make to simply make it so they last 2-3 months for now, and then resets in the interim. There are some technical difficulties in attaching dark events to facilities in game from the sounds of it.
I get that the tac DEs are intended to increase advent strength over time and that's fine. What's not so cool is the first time you encounter a Muton Elite he has an extra 3-4hp, and can dodge point blank blasts to the face to grazes consistently while stunned!

That just sucks. :(

So +1 for ability to counter DEs, especially the ones that give really strong abilities. Whenever I detect a mission to counter (any) DE it's almost always less than 3 days so I have no chance and it may as well not have popped up TBH.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Cloista wrote:There's a mod for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =854420428
This mod isn't quite what people are asking for either, people want a midway point where these dark events are a more interactive affair which is based around player skill and planning rather than blind and dumb luck with permanent disabilities which stack up.

People also want a LONG WAR out of longwar, so they want the advent/aliens to be competitive and challenging when you have beams etc. But these dark events can add up to a point it just becomes silly, especially early and mid game, and there should be an interactive and involving system that has the players involved with it. These expunge the events without them repeating, and still leaves it all up to dumb luck what hits when, where... Etc.