Hacking Breaks Concealment?

Valaska

Hacking Breaks Concealment?

Post by Valaska »

So I am curious, is there any way to turn this off and simply make the aliens go on alert? I don't really get why it causes my shinobi to break his concealment after I hack into a computer :x

I'd very much like to retain concealment while simply setting all the advent etc on alert.
Opticalx

Re: Hacking Breaks Concealment?

Post by Opticalx »

Yeah I posted about this, kinda feels bad you make the effort to sneak about and hack only to get jumped after.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Opticalx wrote:Yeah I posted about this, kinda feels bad you make the effort to sneak about and hack only to get jumped after.
Mhm, I just snuck across an entire map, nicked it in the middle of all the pods and whum-whum-wa-waaamp... Got revealed and slaughtered lol. If they were at least alerted and didn't break his concealment, he could have made it out fairly easily. Almost felt like Alt-F4'ing hah, felt kind of cheated!
Merkle

Post by Merkle »

They have explosives on the device, or at least a monitoring system.

This is why you break concealment.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Merkle wrote:They have explosives on the device, or at least a monitoring system.

That doesn't really explain why it breaks concealment, that would be a perfect reason why enemies are alerted but not why your hacker instantly is revealed.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It's for balancing purposes.
sectoidfodder

Post by sectoidfodder »

FYI there's a "!" icon that shows up when an action will break concealment, near where your hit chance usually is. Just like the ">|" icon that shows up near crit chance when an action will end your soldier's turn.
ShockmasterFred

Post by ShockmasterFred »

Valaska wrote:
Merkle wrote:They have explosives on the device, or at least a monitoring system.

That doesn't really explain why it breaks concealment, that would be a perfect reason why enemies are alerted but not why your hacker instantly is revealed.

It makes perfect sense, they have some kind of sensor on the objective, when it goes off they know XCOM is there and at the objective. Even if you don't agree it makes sense, sometimes your personal sense of immersion has to be put second to gameplay. The game and those missions are just too easy without that hack breaking concealment. Especially with the vanilla games line of play mechanics removed. Somebody yesterday was arguing with me that "Those missions (meaning hack objective missions) would be perfect with True Concealment and if the hack didn't reveal". He might as well have said "I want the game to let me win automatically, as long as I am willing to camp for a few turns". Immersion is an important aspect, but gameplay and challenge is much more important. You can wrap your head around one scientist being able to successfully unlock alien technology in a matter of days, but not someone hacking the aliens computer systems revealing their presence? That breaks MY immersion in your argument.
Opticalx

Post by Opticalx »

ShockmasterFred wrote:
Valaska wrote:

It makes perfect sense, they have some kind of sensor on the objective, when it goes off they know XCOM is there and at the objective. Even if you don't agree it makes sense, sometimes your personal sense of immersion has to be put second to gameplay. The game and those missions are just too easy without that hack breaking concealment. Especially with the vanilla games line of play mechanics removed. Somebody yesterday was arguing with me that "Those missions (meaning hack objective missions) would be perfect with True Concealment and if the hack didn't reveal". He might as well have said "I want the game to let me win automatically, as long as I am willing to camp for a few turns". Immersion is an important aspect, but gameplay and challenge is much more important. You can wrap your head around one scientist being able to successfully unlock alien technology in a matter of days, but not someone hacking the aliens computer systems revealing their presence? That breaks MY immersion in your argument.
Well then wouldnt it be more immersive if yeah they new about it, and start moving aggressively towards it, rather than not instantly see the concealed shinobi. They didnt see the shinobi up intill that point, then all of a suddent they get map hax and know where you are ( it don't seem fair or immersive to me )
Opticalx

Post by Opticalx »

This was what I put in my topic about it with idea's on how it can been changed slightly......

This topic is for you lovely dev's.

First of all, I would like to thank you for creating such a wonderful mod, I have put several hours into it already and really enjoy the changes, improvements and feel of the game.
I have a few suggestions and thoughts on the stealth ( concealment aspect ). Yesterday I sent 2 of my soldiers on a mission to hack a terminal 1 shinobi and 1 sharp shooter. The idea was to use the shinobi to scout / remain undetected and the sniper to chip away at enemies from afar with sniper/silencer combo. Going through the mission I ran into 3 pods, before engaging I saved game ( ye i know scrub ) But I was totally unsure of how the silencer mechanic worked ( with the mod to remain concealed ). After finding out it works it kinda puts the enemies on high alert which is fine and the sniper remained concealed. I reloaded game and pressed on to the objective which was to hack an enemy terminal, after some close calls I managed to completely avoid all the pods and reach the terminal with the shinobi. Here is my issue, when I attempted and completed the hack the shinobi was revealed. Which after sneaking about the map, avoiding the 3 pods with very close calls, felt a little bad. Like I had been punished for being stealthy and not taking a full squad to be able to kill all.
Now I am not going to just say hey you guys need to change this, but to consider some options to reward the stealthy play a bit more on missions of this type. I had 3 days to infiltrate the mission, so that promoted the choice to send in only 2 people. I thought wouldnt it be cool to only use 2 soldiers and hack that station and get out without the enemy knowing.

Anyhow I am not sure if you intended the gameplay to work like that, but just my thoughts on it. I think having a talent or a % chance to remain concealed well hacking would be a nice addition to the shinobi as the class promotes stealthy play a lot.
Note: Since i am only a few hours in I do not know if there such a talent or skill and forgive me if there is. have not been able to find anything about it.

Thank you, and keep up the good work. -Opticalx
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Seems you guys are missing some key narrative and gameplay elements.

From a gameplay point of view if you are not revealed when calling for Evac or hacking/disarming the objective, you can simply do 1-Shinobi missions, sneaking and sneaking out.

Moreover, even if you are revealed, if there are no aliens in sight, no pods will be activated on that turn. This is fairly obvious on Jaibreak missions. Thus you still can move away from patrolling pods, even if revealed. You can even activate one pod, call for EVAC, throw a Flashbang and take out the pod on the next turn. Close any doors to block line of sight and just sit tight till EVAC comes.

You can still do 2-man Shinobi missions once one of them gets Concealment. Just take the objective, run behind cover where no one can see you and enter again Concealment.

From a narrative point of view, there are cameras in the jail, as well as a timer on the detonator. You can not simply disable the object without someone noticing that the doors are open or that the timer on the detonator just stopped all of a sudden.