Cheating Difficulty?

Sines

Cheating Difficulty?

Post by Sines »

So, I know that on all non-Legendary difficulties in Vanilla, the game would give you secret bonuses to hit the more you missed. According to the wiki, that IS present in Long War on Rookie. I'm playing on Veteran, and it still feels like I'm hitting more than I'm supposed to. Perhaps it's just the 10% chance to graze registering as hits in my mind, but I'm curious now.

So yah, I'm (sorta-kinda) complaining that I'm too lucky. I'm fine with honest luck (or the perception that I'm lucky when I'm not), but I don't favor the game cheating for me. Is this mechanic present in Veteran difficulty as well?

In before "Scored 3 20% overwatch shots for max damage, killing a pod instantly? THAT'S X-COM BABY!"
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Re: Cheating Difficulty?

Post by Devon_v »

Sines wrote:So, I know that on all non-Legendary difficulties in Vanilla, the game would give you secret bonuses to hit the more you missed. According to the wiki, that IS present in Long War on Rookie. I'm playing on Veteran, and it still feels like I'm hitting more than I'm supposed to. Perhaps it's just the 10% chance to graze registering as hits in my mind, but I'm curious now.

So yah, I'm (sorta-kinda) complaining that I'm too lucky. I'm fine with honest luck (or the perception that I'm lucky when I'm not), but I don't favor the game cheating for me. Is this mechanic present in Veteran difficulty as well?

In before "Scored 3 20% overwatch shots for max damage, killing a pod instantly? THAT'S X-COM BABY!"
Rookie should be the only mode that helps you. It also shows you the reinforcement flares so you can slaughter them as they drop and gives you an extra 4 turns on all missions.

It's basically "I want to have all the cool new stuff but I don't like having my ass kicked" mode. :)
Matanui3

Post by Matanui3 »

In fact with 1.1, this mechanic was removed from Rookie as well, replaced with an extra 5 aim for all soldiers, so what you see is what you get.

The other difficulties shouldn't have any.
Sines

Post by Sines »

Matanui3 wrote:In fact with 1.1, this mechanic was removed from Rookie as well, replaced with an extra 5 aim for all soldiers, so what you see is what you get.

The other difficulties shouldn't have any.
Awesome. Not playing on Rookie, but if I were I'd prefer a straight up +5 aim, because then I'd still be making informed decisions and be responsible for them.

Admittedly, I'm still restarting missions a little bit, but usually only in the case of new things (for example, the first time I tried a solo Shinobi jailbreak) so that I can get a feel for it. But I'm still trying to play mostly Ironman, and usually only restarting on little things, such as completely forgetting that some guy was on overwatch.