Aim affects rocket scatter? There is no info about this in the game

bingo12345

Aim affects rocket scatter? There is no info about this in the game

Post by bingo12345 »

If so, add description about rocket scatter and aim influence on the technical's guntlet. There should not be hidden info in the game.
Manifest

Re: Aim affects rocket scatter? There is no info about this in the game

Post by Manifest »

bingo12345 wrote:If so, add description about rocket scatter and aim influence on the technical's guntlet. There should not be hidden info in the game.
Give it some time. The devs have talked about rocket scatter and aim so that must mean they're fine with telling it, it's just they need more time.
Legatus

Post by Legatus »

bingo12345 wrote:If so, add description about rocket scatter and aim influence on the technical's guntlet. There should not be hidden info in the game.
There is info when you fire the rocket, it tell you the amount of spaces it can scatter.
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Legatus wrote:
There is info when you fire the rocket, it tell you the amount of spaces it can scatter.
That's a very rough estimate, it doesn't tell you about how much more accurate soldier aim or shooting range affects it, which means you could go through the game not knowing that they affect it, and even if you do know how, you don't know the exact extent of the penalties.
Sines

Post by Sines »

As I understand it, Aim has nothing to do with maximum scatter range. Instead, how it works is that your scatter range is 2, 4 or 6 (depending on whether you moved and if you have the appropriate perk). Then, for each tile of maximum scatter range, your Aim stat is rolled. If you 'miss', then the Rocket deviates 1 tile away from the center in a random direction. This repeats for every tile of scatter.

So, lets say you have 4 tile scatter, and a 75 Aim. Since 75 Aim hits 3 out of 4 shots, then on average, you'll miss one. As such, the most likely result is that your rocket will hit one tile away from where you targeted in any non-diagonal direction.

At least, this is how I THINK it works. I could be wrong on that. If I'm right, however, it would mean that scatter range is wholly independent from your Aim stat. A character with 100 aim would have 0 scatter in practice, even if he's displaying 6 tile scatter when you go to shoot the rocket.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

The above is correct to the best of my knowledge, with the caveat that rockets also have range penalties to aim for the purposes of that scatter roll.

The value displayed is the max possible scatter. Displaying both the max and the expected value would ofc be better, but getting new UI stuff to work (and without tanking performance) is a lot harder than you might think.
juplaa

Post by juplaa »

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... ket#p27504

johnnylump wrote:Hey DarkRenown, good seeing you again.

Scopes and steady weapon do not affect Rocket Scatter. Innate "aim" to the soldier and aim from PCSes should. Weapon addons only apply to the weapon they are attached to.

bingo12345

Post by bingo12345 »

The topic was adding description on the game. Nobody wants to find hidden elements on the internet. Somebody might use low aim guy as technical because of no info about aim influence on scatter.
GoodIdea

Post by GoodIdea »

bingo12345 wrote:The topic was adding description on the game. Nobody wants to find hidden elements on the internet. Somebody might use low aim guy as technical because of no info about aim influence on scatter.
I have done that. As a result, I also thought technical rockets were highly inaccurate, mostly hitting somewhere on the edge of the displayed max scatter range, so I pretty much never used them if I could avoid it.