Commander's Choice functionality

Naethanyl

Commander's Choice functionality

Post by Naethanyl »

One of the most annoying "features" of the base game is the fact that despite specifying the soldier class in the character is pool is that its randomized when you promote your soldiers.

Understandably, there is a mod out there that allows you to change the soldier class upon promotion from rookie. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working for me in LW2.

However, considering that this was a second wave option for LW1, I was wondering if this mod's functionality can be integrated into the base mod, rather than having it be tacked on later.
Crazily

Re: Commander's Choice functionality

Post by Crazily »

I use the mod "use my class" and set the class in the character pool screen......so far this is working but I use a squad of custom made soldiers instead of the default random ones.
Sines

Post by Sines »

It does seem odd that soldiers can get promoted to a class they're not particularly suited for, though every class seems to have some options for alternate playstyles (Low mobility, High Aim Assault? Slug Shot and Arc Thrower build!).

However, there is still one negative side effect of this, which is that it encourages you to build a GTS early on, and train your rookies in it. Rather than have the aliens cull the weak from the strong, as RNJesus intended. If you can avoid too many wounds in your first few battles, not only can you avoid fielding a single rookie after Gatecrasher, but you're actually encouraged to.
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

Just FYI for anyone who hasn't looked into this, here's the Commander's Choice mod on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =688405905

It works fine (you can change the class of any Squaddie), but unfortunately,

Long War 2 Compatability
-Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential cause some problems with stats. Try to limit the number of times you change the class of a single soldier, the fewer the better. (Stats like Offense tend to progressively decrease with every class change.)