Squad wipe stories.

warbrand2

Squad wipe stories.

Post by warbrand2 »

This is a topic for stories of squad wipes in LW2.

This topic exists as a way to vent steam or learn from examples given on how not do do missions.

I only have one story for now, but it is a well annoying one. This story starts with rebel breakout mission which I put 6 rookies in cause well I wanted to level them and it was an easy mission. the mission started well got the rebels and was about to evac when shit hit the fan, and hit hard.

MY squad was all at full health one turn then dead 2 later. and here is how. after evacing the last prisoner I sadly decided to hunker down and take out the pod that I just alerted. unfortunantly this was a bad idea, as on their turn an advent commander got a graze hit and suddenly half my squad went into hunker down pannic, and it only got worse from there with the next move being a minspen that mindcontrolled my only soldier with flashbangs left. yeah, you can see where this is going. the aliens got two turns where I couldn't do anything and they used them greatly killed all but the mind controlled one and when I got them back I ran them to the evac point only for them to die to overwatch shots from 3 enemies.

The only thing I can say after this mission is I hate rookies.
regloh70

Re: Squad wipe stories.

Post by regloh70 »

Damn...
But thats xcom baby :D
Hazelnut

Re: Squad wipe stories.

Post by Hazelnut »

warbrand2 wrote:The only thing I can say after this mission is I hate rookies.
You got greedy. I did that last night, thought I could finish off the three pods surrounding my 4 best soldiers (all I could infiltrate in time) and nearly did it too, got down to 2 Advent and a Viper... unfortunately the viper was the sniper one which I've never met before and it murdered me and there was nothing I could do once pinned into a corner of map with no grenades left.

Thankfully not Ironmanning LW2 yet, so I could have another go from the point at which I was surrounded by 3 pods (took 1st out, activated 2nd, 3rd pathed into us from behind 2nd and then 4th appeared behind us since we snuck past in concealment) with 3 turns to disarm the data cache bomb which took out 25% of my fighting force for 2 turns (open door, climb in, hack, get out)

Was less greedy and escaped under fire with the package and two wounded.

:D