Perk mechanics & in-game description

Arantir

Perk mechanics & in-game description

Post by Arantir »

Hello there!
Well, now with LW2 officially released I can finally look at XCOM 2 without holding my head with both hands :D
Just started a playthrough on legendary (because why not?). Doing preparation, sketching optimal class builds and squad compositions.

Short version: It would be quite nice to have more detailed perk descriptions where it's possible.

The thing is that some perks have kinda oversimplified, not obvious or misleading descriptions and some other straightforward ones could really use some additional clarification on their synergies. I'm not telling that perk descriptions should fully explain their every single game interaction that one could think of (like in some classic DnD games), but there's no harm in providing exact numbers where it's possible and pointing out common-thought synergies which work or do not work together. It would improve the experience by removing the possible confusion about whether the perk works the way you assume it works and disappointment when you find out that it doesn't, especially for the first-timers. Would also spare people from some additional specific testing.

So here's a list of perks which I think could use some clarification in the game description. Some complaints could be subjective and other things may be obvious for someone who got experience with LW perk pack, but well... not entirely obvious for a guy who merely poked X2 with a stick from a distance and I assume it's mostly true for people who try LW2 for the first time :lol:

- Trench Gun (Short-range cone-based shotgun attack at nearby targets.)
Does it technically count like a separate regular shot at every target in the cone with all bonuses & penalties that applies to a shot (range, cover, crit, dodge, ammo type, damage bonuses) or there are some different hidden rules? How far is short-range? Does it work with Run & Gun?

- Hit & Run (One free standard shot against flanked or exposed target with a primary weapon per turn.)
Does it treat the enemies who can't take cover at all as exposed like it was in LW1? It's stated that it doesn't work after using Run & Gun but can it still be activated after taking a Hit & Run shot?

- Rapid Fire (Fire two shots at -15 aim penalty.)
No harm in mentioning that it actually works with Run & Gun.

- Close Encounters (Free standard shot with prima activaten 4 tiles.)
Can you activate Run & Gun after taking such shot?

- Street Sweeper (Cone-based shotgun attack that can't miss and deals bonus damage to unarmored targets. Blocked by high cover.)
Is it any different from the Trench Gun ability apart from guaranteed hit & bonus damage? Can it be used with Run & Gun?

- Locked On (+10 aim & crit for successive shots at the same enemy unit.)
Does the reaction shots count? Does it cancel if you shoot someone else?

- Cool Under Pressure (+10 aim on reaction shots and they can critically hit.)
Does it transfer to an effective +7 (or +5 on dash) bonus to hit due reaction shot penalty or is it flat +10 in all situations? Does it include reaction shots from suppression?

- Tradecraft (Soldier have significantly reduced infiltration times while on missions)
How much in relation to a soldier without this perk?

- Coup de Grace (Can instantly kill disoriented, stunned or unconscious enemy?)
I can't really figure out whether it's active or passive ability from the description. Can it kill basically all not-robot things which could be disoriented with no exeptions? If that's a special ranged or melee action what's about cooldown? If it's actually a passive does it apply to any damage dealing abilities and grenades?

-Serial (A powerful chained shot ability. For every kill with a Sniper/SMG your actions will be refilled.)
Not entirely clear whether it restores 1 or 2 actions per kill.

- Reaper (A devastating chain melee attack where the first attack can not miss. Each melee kill in Reaper mode grants an extra action but further melee attacks have reduced damage.)
Not obvious whether it should be activated manually or is it triggered by the first melee attack from the description. What is the exact damage falloff for each consecutive kill? Does the damage penalty apply only for the duration of your turn and not for the following enemy's one?

- Sapper (Your explosives can destroy many cover objects)
It's pretty logical that it enhances you cover-destroying capabilities, but I found the description quite confusing. Does it mean that some cover objects can not be destroyed without this perk even if enough damage is applied? If it works just like in LW1 what is the exact damage multiplier this time?

- Bluescreen bombs (Your flashbangs now disorient robotic units and reduce their resistance to hacking.)
What is the exact bonus to hacking and is it a flat one?

- Chain Shot (Take a shot at the aim penalty of -5. If you hit you take another shot at the target.)
Does the aim penalty apply to second shot?

- Combatives (You may parry melee attacks and counterattack with your combat knife. Also +10 dodge.)
"May" doesn't sound like it's 100% so what are the odds? Does a successful parry prevent you from taking damage?

- Flush (Special shot with a bonus to hit that does little or no damage but forces target to change position if it hits.)
What are the exact numbers / modifiers for the damage?

- Holotarget (Holotarget your enemy to grat an aim bonus to all attacks on this target for the remainder of the turn.)
No harm in mentioning the base starting aim bonus and whether it can be used on squadsight range.

- Vital Point Targeting (Attacks agains your holotargeted enemies deal more damage.)
Does it apply to shots by allies?

- Kubikiri (Special shot against most enemies who have taken any damage. Any critical hit kills them and regular hits deal half-damage. Requires 2 actions and has a 4-turn cooldown.)
Can't figure out how exactly this one works from the description. Is it a status effect that applies on enemy after using this ability or is it only for the initial shot?

- Multitargeting (You may holotarget multiple enemies with a 2-turn cooldown.)
Does the area center snap to the initial target or you can aim it manually?

- Hunters Instincts (Ranged attacks against flanked enemies deal +2 damage.)
What about exposed ones? Does it apply to sidearms?

- Restoration (Gremlin flies to each squadmember healing or reviving them as needed)
Does it require taking Revival Protocol in order revive squadmates and if true, would this action stabilize bleeding-out ones instead in case you didn't take it? Will it heal VIPs and other people apart from you initial squad who is under your control at the moment?

- Capacitor Discharge (Send gremlin to a location where it emmits a discharge damaging and potentially stunning nerby enemies.)
Is it limited to a vision range? What is the base damage? How big is AOE? What are the stun chances?

- Roust (Special flamethrower shot that does limited damge but forces enemies to change their positions.)
How much "limited damage" compared to a regular flamethrower use? Does it guarantee that targeted enemies will move if they're capable of doing so or there's a specific chance?

- Concussion rocket (Fire a special rocket that deals limited damage and has a chance to stun or disorient organic enemies and leaves a cloud of smoke.)
How much "limited damage" compared to a regular rocket? Does the smoke cloud act like a smoke grenade providing defence for the enemies in the area?

- Burnout (Activating your flamethrower leaves a small smoke cloud around your position providing defence bonus.)
How small exactly in tiles? Does it apply to all flamethrower-based abilities?

- Bunker buster (Fire a rocket that destroys buildings and other objects in the environment.)
How much larger is the AOE comared to a regular rocket and how much does the damage scale?

Guess that's all for now. I would be thankful if anyone can confirm/deny/explain this things to me until we have a handy LW wiki available. Nevertheless, the in-game descriptions could use some additional details. And why not allow clicking the additional "?" info tab with View locked perks enabled before you reach the required rank so you don't have to cheat just to see the extra info when you're planning a build. It's not really a priority, but still would be nice.

Yeah, and I can't help but say thanks one more time to pavonis team for the beautiful experience which is LW2. :)
fadeway

Re: Perk mechanics & in-game description

Post by fadeway »

I concur, the loss of F1 from EW was an unfortunate step back.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

It's not an invalid complaint, but it's also harder to satisfy than you might think. There's a necessary but tyrannical thing in game development that requires we lock down our text well before the game is released. We call it "loc lock" internally -- loc being short for "localization," which is what translators handle. All the time is needed so the translators can have weeks or months to put the mod into nine other languages.

So part of why some of the descriptions are vague was to give us some flexibility after loc lock to keep balancing the game. (I'll concede some of them are probably too vague regardless.) If we had super specific stuff, then no matter what that's how it has to work, regardless of whether it's OP or UP. We were also asked to keep our word count down, as translations aren't free.
ShockmasterFred

Post by ShockmasterFred »

johnnylump wrote:It's not an invalid complaint, but it's also harder to satisfy than you might think. There's a necessary but tyrannical thing in game development that requires we lock down our text well before the game is released. We call it "loc lock" internally -- loc being short for "localization," which is what translators handle. All the time is needed so the translators can have weeks or months to put the mod into nine other languages.

So part of why some of the descriptions are vague was to give us some flexibility after loc lock to keep balancing the game. (I'll concede some of them are probably too vague regardless.) If we had super specific stuff, then no matter what that's how it has to work, regardless of whether it's OP or UP. We were also asked to keep our word count down, as translations aren't free.
I enjoy how diplomatic you are. :0))
Arantir

Post by Arantir »

Well, thanks for explaining the inner process I guess. :)
Still hope that it could be addressed at some point, maybe when there would be enough reworks/additions to justify another pass on localization.

Can someone please explain me at least these following particular perks? I'd like to be sure before I'm somewhat far into the campaign.

Trench Gun: Does it apply the same rules as for the regular shots and can it be used after Run & Gun?
Hit & Run / Close Encounters: Can you activate Run & Gun after taking a free shot?
Kubikiri: How exactly does this one work?
Coup de Grace: Is it active or passive? If it's an active one, is there only a single roll for instakill or you can still apply some damage?
Hunters Instincts: Does it work with sidearms?
Restoration: Does it revive squadmates regardless of taking Revival Protocol?