Long War Assets: access for other modders

dethraker

Long War Assets: access for other modders

Post by dethraker »

Hey Pavonis,

Want to start with saying that like others on the site I'm truly looking forward to what you have done with Long War 2 and I can't wait to get my hands on it personally, though maybe for different reasons than most of the others here. I plan to do at least one playthrough of your overhaul but I'm most excited about the new systems and art assets that have been talked about.

As a modder I understand that making an overhaul and releasing parts of it individually is a completely different ordeal but the thing I'm most curious about is how you're going to handle the assets that are added within Long War 2. I did ask a couple questions in the main thread but you had requested that if there were any other questions along these lines to start a new thread for it, here are the responses I received from you previously for others that might be curious about the same things I am:
johnnylump wrote:
dethraker wrote:This question relates to the access other modders will have when working with Long War assets. Will there be a separate mod or mod package that includes all of the added art assets in Long War 2 or will modders be required to work off Long War if they want to utilize anything new that was added?

Also, after reading the other questions I just want some clarification, is there any sort of reinforcements for XCom in tactical play or do reinforcements still exist only for the enemy components?

Are the "rebel forces" and XCom separate entities or do the rebel forces only exist as a general "people around the world are fighting with us" and not receive representation in tactical missions or strategic decisions?
Our XCOM2 stuff is "free for noncommercial use." In terms of packaging various files to get at it, we can post them on the Nexus if necessary.

There aren't reinforcements for XCOM during tactical missions (except in the Avenger mission, like vanilla.)

Last question can't answer yet.
johnnylump wrote:
dethraker wrote:
johnnylump wrote:Our XCOM2 stuff is "free for noncommercial use." In terms of packaging various files to get at it, we can post them on the Nexus if necessary.

There aren't reinforcements for XCOM during tactical missions (except in the Avenger mission, like vanilla.)

Last question can't answer yet.
That would be extremely helpful for those that want to continue on their own projects in their current state, hopefully you can do this as a separate download on nexus shortly after you launch Long War 2!

So no reinforcements in the form of XCom operatives, but considering you can't answer the last question just yet I'm wondering if they get support from the rebel forces in the area. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised with what's coming!

As far as your art assets, will people be allowed to modify the assets without prior consent from Pavonis so long as credit for the basic design is given? Sorry about all the modding related questions I just want to make sure I can "borrow" all your hard work so long as you are named as the creator lol.
Yep, modding our assets is fine as long as credit is given. Can you start a separate thread if you have additional questions?
For the most part this answers the question on whether or not Pavonis will be willing to go even further than you already have a break things up a bit to allow others to have easier access to your art assets for use in their own mods or overhauls rather than being forced to utilize Long War 2 as a base and building from there. I very much appreciate that and I'm sure other modders will as well if they like some of your designs, Coilguns being one of those.

To take my questions a bit further, I haven't had the opportunity to look at your code, of course, so I'm not sure how much of an ordeal it would be to separate the different systems within Long War 2. I was curious though if there were any plans to create a template or system that can be utilized by other modders in regards to the Strategy side of the game?

Also with the art assets, if you are to create a separate download of your art assets would they all be lumped(pun intended sorry I'm terrible) in together or would you be willing to separate them the way you have with the XCom 2 mods so far? For example having different downloads for:
-Coilguns
-New Armors
-New Enemies(included with the already existing Alien pack)
-New Items
-Possibly an Icon pack??

Thanks so much for the answers so far and once again for working on this mod for the community.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Long War Assets: access for other modders

Post by johnnylump »

All those assets can be easily extracted from our existing mods or Long War 2 after it's published using the game's mod tools, and we probably don't have staff time to put together separate downloads for likely a limited audience.

We may be able to do a separate coilgun pack for players.
dethraker

Re: Long War Assets: access for other modders

Post by dethraker »

johnnylump wrote:All those assets can be easily extracted from our existing mods or Long War 2 after it's published using the game's mod tools, and we probably don't have staff time to put together separate downloads for likely a limited audience.

We may be able to do a separate coilgun pack for players.
I'm not sure about the limited audience part as I'm certain all modders would be able to benefit from this, not to mention a good deal of people do like to create their own experience by balancing different modpacks together, but I do understand the staff time part. I don't want to see Pavonis spending too much additional time on XCom 2 mods when you could be moving on to Terra Invicta development instead, I was just trying to get an idea of what your plans are around supporting the modding community. It is very true that the different parts of the changes can be dug out by other modders so that isn't as much of an issue.

Thanks so much for your time in answering my questions and I can't wait to see the end result that you at Pavonis have been working toward.