Mechanics under the hoodZ: AI, Independent Rolls, Aim Assist?

Stars Cross

Mechanics under the hoodZ: AI, Independent Rolls, Aim Assist?

Post by Stars Cross »

Hello! I'm excited for Long War 2 like so many here. I know you guys can't talk about a lot of stuff yet though I was hoping to pick your brains about more subtle changes, namely the mechanics going on under the hood of the game! AI, how rolls are made and aim assist.

> First is, did you guys change the AI at all? I think one of the most impressive changes for me for the first Long War was how much smarter and realistic you guys made the enemy feel, can we expect more of that in Long War 2? I ask because,
johnnylump wrote:For the most part, we avoided duplicating effort by other modders unless it directly supported our new features, so stuff like Flank Preview and Numeric Health Display will need to be added separately (they do work with LW2, though).
Now there are two popular AI mods on the steam workshop. Improved AI 1.47 and A Better Advent 2.0. However you got unique enemies of your own and only ABA2 supports your alien pack enemies (and only sort of).

> Aim Rolls! How do they work? As far as I understand XCOM 2, the game rolls a single time and uses that single result to determine Hit, Crit and Dodge all in one and kind of skews the actual crit chance of shots in certain situations. I ask since in XCOM EU aim and crit were rolled independent of each other: Roll to hit, if hit, then roll for crit. It made more sense. Does Long War 2 restore this? There is a workshop mod for this so I assume as per Mr. Lump's quote, I assume it falls under avoiding duplicating mods.

> Lastly, the hidden Aim Assist mechanic! If I recall Long War removed Aim Assist on all difficulties? I don't recall where I remember hearing this though the FAQ on the original Long War mod hints at it,
faq wrote:[...] we've removed every bit of code we can find that cheats for the player on the lower difficulties.
And I bring this up because of an article Mr. Lump generously posted!
johnnylump wrote:A few details in this Eurogamer article
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... al-players
Does this mean you'll allow the aim assist to remain on the lower difficulties? There are already mods on the workshop to remove Aim Assist from all difficulties, but none to add them.

I understand if you can't answer any of these questions yet, I'm excited for Long War 2 all the same! :D
rfriar

Re: Mechanics under the hoodZ: AI, Independent Rolls, Aim Assist?

Post by rfriar »

Yeah, I was planning on using A Better AI if the AI hasn't changed a ton, so it'd be good to know.
Krylos

Post by Krylos »

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work just like that, because the new enemies wouldn't have the better AI profile assigned to them. You'll have to wait for compatibility updates or work through the ini files yourself.
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

You won't need any AI mods with LW2, and DerBK has already stated that he will be building an updated ABA to work with LW2 ("A Better Long War" was how he put it) as soon as he finishes his first LW2 run.

See my comment on this thread: http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 15&t=23365 for my mod suggestions on your first LW2 run.

Having said that, the vast majority of mods that I've tested with LW2 (502 at current count) are either compatible, mildly incompatible, or not needed for a LW2 run. There are very few that are out and out incompatible, and are unlikely to be 'fixable'.

Run a vanilla LW2 campaign first, then come back and add some/all of your favorite mods back in.