What's up with dark event counters not working?

merkmerk

What's up with dark event counters not working?

Post by merkmerk »

On multiple playthroughs now I counter a dark event only to find it complete a day later

This is getting on my nerves, as I wouldn't take these missions if I knew the dark event counter would simply not work
LordYanaek

Re: What's up with dark event counters not working?

Post by LordYanaek »

There was a bug in previous versions that caused DE counters to fail if the mission was completed extremely close to the expiration of the DE timer but as far as i know it was fixed for 1.3 or 1.4.

This is definitely not the intended behavior. Is your version of LW2 up to date (1.4)? It might also be a mod conflict or maybe there's still a bug waiting to be identified.
merkmerk

Post by merkmerk »

It must not be fixed

I'm on the most recent version of LW2 with no gameplay mods other than LW2 installed

It has happened multiple times now - both times the mission was completed shortly before the dark event

Last playthrough I ran a relay destroy to counter tac defense, completed mission flawless, tac defense rolls up about 12 hours of scanning later

This playthrough same thing just happened. it's like that bug just wasn't fixed
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

OK, i just found it in the patch notes for 1.3
johnnylump wrote:- Fix a bug causing dark events to sometimes activate before the activity they are attached to expires. 2257
So it looks like it's not the exact same issue. From the wording this bug would have caused the DE to be completed while the mission was under infiltration rather than after the mission.

I can only suggest you follow the basic troubleshooting steps explained in this thread, especially the part about regenerating your ini files (it's a simple and easily overlooked step that can really fix a lot of troubles). If the issue persists report the bug.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

If you're still seeing bugs with this, please make a save while in the DE mission just before you complete it, and if the DE fires after you get back to the geoscape a few days later, please upload the save somewhere and send me a link. I've heard this reported a small number of times but it doesn't seem to be something seen by most players.
merkmerk

Post by merkmerk »

tracktwo wrote:If you're still seeing bugs with this, please make a save while in the DE mission just before you complete it, and if the DE fires after you get back to the geoscape a few days later, please upload the save somewhere and send me a link. I've heard this reported a small number of times but it doesn't seem to be something seen by most players.
I will if it happens again

Both times it's happened the event completed a day or less of scanning time after mission completion - if you were going to go digging through code I'd check there
Rittstar

Post by Rittstar »

hello there, i have (maybe) encountered the same issue, luckily i can provide you saves

save 6 is geoscope save where you can see the mission right bevore start
save 38 is the last round bevore i evac, shortly after that DE fires, it could be that it is different DE, but i am not sure about it, as it is very early game on commander 4th May

http://filehorst.de/d/bBypGyrq
Datei von filehorst.de laden
<a href="http://filehorst.de/d/bBypGyrq">Datei von filehorst.de laden</a>

some mods are in like perfect information, gotcha, tactical kill count, infiltration percentage and show more buff details
merkmerk

Post by merkmerk »

Rittstar wrote:hello there, i have (maybe) encountered the same issue, luckily i can provide you saves

save 6 is geoscope save where you can see the mission right bevore start
save 38 is the last round bevore i evac, shortly after that DE fires, it could be that it is different DE, but i am not sure about it, as it is very early game on commander 4th May

http://filehorst.de/d/bBypGyrq
Datei von filehorst.de laden
<a href="http://filehorst.de/d/bBypGyrq">Datei von filehorst.de laden</a>

some mods are in like perfect information, gotcha, tactical kill count, infiltration percentage and show more buff details

Rittstar to save the day!!
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks for the saves! This one isn't a bug - you halted one DE, but another was still preparing. If you look at your geoscape save, and open the dark events list, you can see two are not hidden and a third is hidden, and the mission you are currently infiltrating is countering the hidden DE. After completing the mission, the hidden one is gone from the list, and after scanning a moment the RapidResponse DE fires, which was not the one this mission was countering.

So I'm still inclined to think that this is working correctly and when this happens most of the time it just happens to be the case that two DEs were set to complete close together, one of which you counter and the other you don't. That said, if anyone can provide saves where they are certain they are countering a particular DE and it still fires after completing the mission please send them my way and I'll look again.
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

Detective tracktwo solves the case!

From a UI perspective, why not just have the post-mission report tell you which Dark Event was countered?
merkmerk

Post by merkmerk »

tracktwo wrote:Thanks for the saves! This one isn't a bug - you halted one DE, but another was still preparing. If you look at your geoscape save, and open the dark events list, you can see two are not hidden and a third is hidden, and the mission you are currently infiltrating is countering the hidden DE. After completing the mission, the hidden one is gone from the list, and after scanning a moment the RapidResponse DE fires, which was not the one this mission was countering.

So I'm still inclined to think that this is working correctly and when this happens most of the time it just happens to be the case that two DEs were set to complete close together, one of which you counter and the other you don't. That said, if anyone can provide saves where they are certain they are countering a particular DE and it still fires after completing the mission please send them my way and I'll look again.
Ugh dangit no...

In both of my cases there was only one DE active

In particular the one DE active was tac defense - which was stated in the mission. I completed the mission, and a day or less of scanning later the DE completed

I hope you don't give up bug hunting this - there is something fucky with DE counters if the mission is completed close to the timer.

I'll try to get some saves when I play - I usually play on ironman so it's harder