Which missions you avoid?

Sparky79

Which missions you avoid?

Post by Sparky79 »

As the topic says:
for me the two I almost always avoid are:
-sabotage advent monument - have to kill everyone on map and dont even get material so I just skip it
-ambush supplies - the timer on it is always so low (2 days max so far) that its swarming even after boosting infiltration

What about you?
LordYanaek

Re: Which missions you avoid?

Post by LordYanaek »

I only "avoid" missions that "draw ADVENT attention" and even then usually because i don't have a squad to deploy. It's more a matter of priorities than "avoiding" a mission type. Every mission is probably good to do if you have time to infiltrate but some are better then others. Enemy activity is also a bigger factor than mission type for me.
Antifringe

Re: Which missions you avoid?

Post by Antifringe »

Agreeing with LY that quantity trumps quality. I typically do 15-20 missions per supply cycle. But, there are definitely some missions that I either skip or put on low priority.

High strength Smash and Grabs. S&G is a really good mission type, but the timer, combined with the need to fully explore the depot, means that you have to accept a lot of bad pulls. I never do Very Light without at least 5 people, and I think very, very hard about trying more intense S&Gs at all.

Liberation chain missions with bad rewards. Lib2 is a guaranteed rescue, which is great, but sometimes the rescue is a soldier, which is bad. Since you can only do Lib2 once per region, and it immediately respawns when it expires, I will usually let a Lib2 Soldier VIP mission expire and hope to catch a better reward on the reroll. The same thing applies for Lib3, where the capture VIP mission (+1 contact) is so, so much better than the the Destroy Relay version (no special reward other than the normal Intel). I actually consider this to be a minor balance issue.

Propaganda missions. Most General Operations stop spawning once vigilance hits 13. Propaganda adds a whopping +4 vigilance, which is a pretty high opportunity cost in terms of future missions. There are still times I'll do it, but most of the time, I want to "mine out" the good missions as efficiently as I can.

On the other end of the spectrum, here are some missions that I prioritize very highly:

UFO missions. If you see a data raid mission with the "Find a Lead" tag but no Intel Package, this is either Liberation 1 or a UFO. If you've already done Lib1, this is definitely a UFO (BTW, this alone is a good enough reason to clear Lib1 in all of your regions). UFO raids are so good and hurt ADVENT so badly that I will seriously consider trying the mission even if there are only 2 days left. This becomes more viable in the later stages of the game, where XCOM gets so many abilities that you can usually cheese almost anything.

Supply raids. Another good mission that hurts ADVENT and grants rare resources. Anything with 4 days left is an auto pick for me, and I will think hard before skipping a 3 day raid.

Troop column ambushes. Another good one. I'm not as aggressive with these because they are a recurring General Operation. There are only 5 GOps in the pool, and they all have their own independent cooldowns, so the odds of getting one almost every month is pretty high if you are good about doing GOps in general.