Engineers level / efficiency

modjo

Engineers level / efficiency

Post by modjo »

I noticed some engineers provide bigger time reduction bonii for construction, room cleaning tasks.

1. Is there a way to see an engineer rank and or efficiency bonus?
2. Do they also provide varying bonii to staffing workshops, comms or power relay?
seananigans

Re: Engineers level / efficiency

Post by seananigans »

modjo wrote:I noticed some engineers provide bigger time reduction bonii for construction, room cleaning tasks.

2. Do they also provide varying bonii to staffing workshops, comms or power relay?
Every engineer is the same. You're probably seeing the diminishing returns from the second (and further) engineers added to the same project.
Clibanarius

Post by Clibanarius »

Console-added staff are weirdly able to be given a level denotation. I don't think it does anything for most facilities, but it increases their base research rate and efficiency at clearing debris.
merccobb

Post by merccobb »

It technically is not diminishing returns, it is just the way the game communicates the "speed-up". If a certain project requires 16 "man-days" to complete, and the default (zero-engineers, just Lily) is to produce 2 man-days* of work per day, then placing one engineer on the project will now produce 3 man-days per day. This reduces the construction time from 8 days to 5.3333 days, which is a 33% reduction is construction time. Now, adding an additional engineer will produce 4 man-days per day, and the project will only take 4 days to complete. The total reduction in project time is 50%, which means the second engineer only "contributed" a 17% reduction in construction time in comparison to the original time. But it is still in fact applying the same units of work as the previous engineers.

The same is true for scientists. The game communicates in terms of % reduced research time, but each scientist contributes the same units of work. Tygan produces 2 man-days* of research work on his own, and each unstaffed scientist contributes 1 man-day. Staffing a scientist in a non-lab job takes away their research, while staffing them in a lab slot multiplies their work units per day. But each scientist is equivalent to every other scientist.

* At least I'm pretty sure this was the default production in vanilla, I haven't actually checked if LW2 changes this default work rate. The rest of the explanation holds, though, all engineers/scientists are completely interchangeable with no differences.
modjo

Post by modjo »

ok this could be something to do with the Avengers event mod that sometimes levels up the engineers. I thought it was an LW2 feature but no, my bad.
Ithuriel

Post by Ithuriel »

modjo wrote:I noticed some engineers provide bigger time reduction bonii for construction, room cleaning tasks.

If it makes sense, each engineer contributes the same amount of work/day. A given room that needs 45 engineer-days to be cleared will be cleared in 45 days by 1 engineer, 22.5 by 2 engineers, 15 by 3 engineers, etc.
Ithuriel

Post by Ithuriel »

merccobb wrote:It technically is not diminishing returns, it is just the way the game communicates the "speed-up". If a certain project requires 16 "man-days" to complete, and the default (zero-engineers, just Lily) is to produce 2 man-days* of work per day, then placing one engineer on the project will now produce 3 man-days per day. This reduces the construction time from 8 days to 5.3333 days, which is a 33% reduction is construction time. Now, adding an additional engineer will produce 4 man-days per day, and the project will only take 4 days to complete. The total reduction in project time is 50%, which means the second engineer only "contributed" a 17% reduction in construction time in comparison to the original time. But it is still in fact applying the same units of work as the previous engineers.

The same is true for scientists. The game communicates in terms of % reduced research time, but each scientist contributes the same units of work. Tygan produces 2 man-days* of research work on his own, and each unstaffed scientist contributes 1 man-day. Staffing a scientist in a non-lab job takes away their research, while staffing them in a lab slot multiplies their work units per day. But each scientist is equivalent to every other scientist.

* At least I'm pretty sure this was the default production in vanilla, I haven't actually checked if LW2 changes this default work rate. The rest of the explanation holds, though, all engineers/scientists are completely interchangeable with no differences.
+1 Second post on the forums, provides detailed and helpful explanations, without condescension or making somebody feel dumb for asking the question. You have my approval, sir!
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

Ithuriel wrote:
merccobb wrote:It technically is not diminishing returns, it is just the way the game communicates the "speed-up". If a certain project requires 16 "man-days" to complete, and the default (zero-engineers, just Lily) is to produce 2 man-days* of work per day, then placing one engineer on the project will now produce 3 man-days per day. This reduces the construction time from 8 days to 5.3333 days, which is a 33% reduction is construction time. Now, adding an additional engineer will produce 4 man-days per day, and the project will only take 4 days to complete. The total reduction in project time is 50%, which means the second engineer only "contributed" a 17% reduction in construction time in comparison to the original time. But it is still in fact applying the same units of work as the previous engineers.

+1 Second post on the forums, provides detailed and helpful explanations, without condescension or making somebody feel dumb for asking the question. You have my approval, sir!
Well, not being snarky or anything, but that's actually the literal definition of diminishing returns. It just depends on what metric you're using. The metric used in-game to track this stuff is "time to completion," which sees diminishing returns.

But yes, that's a good explanatory post.

edit- actually I'd have to get in-game and test it, you might be right, who knows. I was recalling something like 30 days for first engineer, 20 days if there are two, but then 15 if there are 3, which is indeed dim returns.
Ithuriel

Post by Ithuriel »

seananigans wrote:
Ithuriel wrote:

Well, not being snarky or anything, but that's actually the literal definition of diminishing returns. It just depends on what metric you're using. The metric used in-game to track this stuff is "time to completion," which sees diminishing returns.

edit- actually I'd have to get in-game and test it, you might be right, who knows. I was recalling something like 30 days for first engineer, 20 days if there are two, but then 15 if there are 3, which is indeed dim returns.
Two things to note- firstly, the definition of diminishing returns is that for each unit added to a task, that unit is less effective. In this case, each added unit is equally effective, so it doesn't apply. It would, for instance, apply if every engineer after the first only contributed 80% of the engineer-days, which would indeed be diminishing returns. Does that make sense? (I'm not being snarky/condescending, I'm legitimately wondering if I explained it well ^^)

Secondly, try testing that in-game when you have a mo; it'd go from 30 -> 15 -> 10.
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

Ithuriel wrote:
seananigans wrote:
Ithuriel wrote:

Two things to note- firstly, the definition of diminishing returns is that for each unit added to a task, that unit is less effective. In this case, each added unit is equally effective, so it doesn't apply. It would, for instance, apply if every engineer after the first only contributed 80% of the engineer-days, which would indeed be diminishing returns. Does that make sense? (I'm not being snarky/condescending, I'm legitimately wondering if I explained it well ^^)

Secondly, try testing that in-game when you have a mo; it'd go from 30 -> 15 -> 10.
Yeah, I'm aware of the definition, that's why I edited my post (it's in your quote), to clarify that I might not actually be remembering the in-game values correctly. If it indeed goes 30>15>10 then you're both correct.
Ithuriel

Post by Ithuriel »

seananigans wrote:
Yeah, I'm aware of the definition, that's why I edited my post (it's in your quote), to clarify that I might not actually be remembering the in-game values correctly. If it indeed goes 30>15>10 then you're both correct.
Oh I'm sorry- I thought those were two independent comments, not related. Apologies!
modjo

Post by modjo »

just to clarify on my OP, different engineers would provide different % reduction, for example:
one room to clear, one engineer
:ugeek: bob smith: 50% time reduction
:geek: jane doe: 58% time reduction