Assassinate or capture the enemy VIP?

UraniumOverdose

Assassinate or capture the enemy VIP?

Post by UraniumOverdose »

In the vanilla game you would get the regular reward for completing the VIP mission, but you would get some extra intel if you captured the VIP.

The mission rewards screen in LW2 isn't as direct? What is the difference between capturing or killing the VIP? So far I have been capturing them, but several missions I would have preferred to just shoot them, because capturing them ended up causing me to lose a soldier or two.
wei270

Re: Assassinate or capture the enemy VIP?

Post by wei270 »

bump i am curious as to what reward we get for capture instead of assassinate, if there is no reward then i am never gonna attempt capture again
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

There is an extra reward for capturing the VIP and I guess it is extra Intel. Will need to check in the game files for the exact amount and type of the reward.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

It varies from mission to mission but should be clearly stated beforehand. If you kill them, I don't think you get anything. If you capture them, you get the listed rewards (e.g. +1 Resistance Contacts, or whatever).

Simple risk-reward stuff. I usually opt to Assassinate given strict scheduling and high risk.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

So there's no point doing a tough one of these as an assassination unless it's a liberation mission?
ZenGilgamesh

Post by ZenGilgamesh »

I had one of these events occur as a counter to an upcoming Dark Event. Sent my small Ghost Team in, but Very Light still turned out to be three pods that included an Archon and like 4+ Sectoids, so assassination was the only option.

Long story short, you can still have comfort that that type of victory will still reap those results as far as countering the DE went, but as Arcalane stated you won't get any of the "monetary" rewards. So it's definitely a matter of rolling a dice to get the right scenario.

Don't believe there's any "extra" reward for capturing. It's simply; capture for the win and the reward, or assassinate just for the win if you need it.