Incendiary grenade has a radius of 1 tile. :(

sambezi

Re: Incendiary grenade has a radius of 1 tile. :(

Post by sambezi »

johnnylump wrote:
sambezi wrote:
ScorpZero wrote:Go to XCOM 2\XComGame\Mods\LW_Overhaul\Config, open XComGameData_WeaponData.ini and find FireGrenade_Radius = 1 / AcidGrenade_Radius = 1, change it to whatever value you wish.

And then stop care about people who are trying to convince you that highly explosive combat material of mass destruction should has only one radius because some kind of illusive view of balance. :D This game is about killing aliens in masses, not giving them any chance to survive!

Thanks for that! Now If I want to lower the upfront damage a little, I see that both FireGrenadeM1 and M2 have the same base damage value as 6, is that the one I would have to lower? I am wondering since it would be a bit odd for both grenades to have the same damage assuming M2 is some kind of upgrade?
Feel free to mod to heart's content -- we've got a subforum to help with that, although I haven't put a lot in it yet. We just ask you don't give us balance feedback on the mod if you've changed a bunch of things :) ... Yes, the base damage value is what you'd want to change to do what you're after.

So the big reason it has one tile is because the AOE bonuses the grenade launchers give it make it OP in our view. The poster above got it right that we tried to find niches for all the grenades, so fire went high damage, low AOE along its damage-over-time and debilitating effect.
Oh yeah actually so far I've been playing unmodded LW to get a feel of it while making a list of changes to fit it more my tastes to do a "final" playthrough eventually, don't get me wrong I can understand going for balance first it's just some changes like this end up feeling a little unsatisfying.

I am really not good enough to give insight into balance anyway, I am no min maxer and don't ever plan of even attemting a L/I playthrough but I'd rather voice in a more general concept point of view. I don't even think a single tile nuke is weak per se but I would just rather stick closer with the original (ie lower damage, higher radius) for "cool factor" or "satisfying to use"' sake while trying to not overdo it to the point of triviliazing. And I promise I am not going to come later saying that fire grenades need a nerf after I modded them or anything along those lines :D
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

sambezi wrote:I don't even think a single tile nuke is weak per se but I would just rather stick closer with the original (ie lower damage, higher radius) for "cool factor" or "satisfying to use"' sake while trying to not overdo it to the point of triviliazing. And I promise I am not going to come later saying that fire grenades need a nerf after I modded them or anything along those lines :D
Yeah but then you run into this problem where the acid/fire/gas grenades are basically different skins on the same end result - fucking with abilities/mobility and doing damage over time.

Having some radius/damage/etc. variance gives each its own purpose.
sambezi

Post by sambezi »

Arcalane wrote:
sambezi wrote:I don't even think a single tile nuke is weak per se but I would just rather stick closer with the original (ie lower damage, higher radius) for "cool factor" or "satisfying to use"' sake while trying to not overdo it to the point of triviliazing. And I promise I am not going to come later saying that fire grenades need a nerf after I modded them or anything along those lines :D
Yeah but then you run into this problem where the acid/fire/gas grenades are basically different skins on the same end result - fucking with abilities/mobility and doing damage over time.

Having some radius/damage/etc. variance gives each its own purpose.
Yeah I can see what you mean, it's just that personally I like to do a middleground between balance and fun and well... 1 tile grenades don't really feel good to use to me :roll: . The way I plan to do it is fire grenade is going to be a smaller range (either 2x2 or 3x3) higher damage gas grenade basically that way they aren't quite the same but still flashy like in vanilla. I might even remove the shred from the gas grenade as that is a little weird and could make them different enough but I'll see as I am still thinking over what changes to go through with anyway.

I imagine there's a lot of people that play Long War for the sheer difficulty and the enjoyment of overcoming it more than anything else but I am more into the "Long" part of Long War, the much greater depth of the strategic layer compared to vanilla + an increase in difficulty too but not as the main focus.
JoINrbs
Long War 2 Crew

Post by JoINrbs »

By the time you have Advanced Grenade Launcher and Volatile Mix these are hitting a fairly large area with massive effect.
OhGod

Post by OhGod »

JoINrbs wrote:By the time you have Advanced Grenade Launcher and Volatile Mix these are hitting a fairly large area with massive effect.
This is what I thought. However this does, IMO, have the effect of making it pretty uninspiring/disappointing to use early game (and it unlocks quite early) when I don't have either of those items/perks. At the moment it seems that, despite them unlocking early, they are a late game grenade.

I not sure what a better fix would be; I have a bunch of ideas but they all have short comings in their own way.
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

OhGod wrote:
JoINrbs wrote:By the time you have Advanced Grenade Launcher and Volatile Mix these are hitting a fairly large area with massive effect.
This is what I thought. However this does, IMO, have the effect of making it pretty uninspiring/disappointing to use early game (and it unlocks quite early) when I don't have either of those items/perks. At the moment it seems that, despite them unlocking early, they are a late game grenade.

I not sure what a better fix would be; I have a bunch of ideas but they all have short comings in their own way.
I'm sure you already know this but with cover being harder to break and burning being the strongest debuff in the game, this is basically the perfect grenade which is why it's radius must be small. Just some perspective.