Announcement hype vs. reality

For requests, ideas and general mod talk
Zaramnor

Announcement hype vs. reality

Post by Zaramnor »

Hi folks,

it's been very quiet here, after the launch. There were many people (including myself) very hyped and full of hope, that the announcement of Firaxis working directly with LWS, will bring us back our beloved Long-War-Mod, we knew from X-Com 1.

There were these mods at launch, but they were nothing, in comparison to LW. Don't get me wrong - I don't demand anything. But it makes me sad, that there is no information on anything. Even the information "sorry, no time to work on mods" would be (bad, but) helpful. No information at all is just ... frustrating.

Please, let us know, if you are working on LW or not.

Sincerely
grich117

Re: Announcement hype vs. reality

Post by grich117 »

Yeah, I know what you mean. You need to keep an audience interested to do anything. Currently no one is on the forum, other than me. I am absolutely sure that that would change, if they gave us any information. But, because we are getting nothing from any of their projects, very little people still have interest. Their last piece of news was 2 months ago. They need to give us something.
Signatures are a thing? Huh.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

We do read these threads, and when we have something to announce, we'll announce it, but there just isn't anything to report right now. I should add this forum isn't just for promoting our work but a place to chat about XCOM modding in general.
Zaramnor

Post by Zaramnor »

Sure, I think we all got it. You said the same before.

But that's not, what I wanted to ask you for. We don't want to have a big announcement, nor the releasedate... We just want to know, if you are working on or even thinking about Longwar 2.
Badman_bacon777

Post by Badman_bacon777 »

Johnnylump did just post "there just isn't anything to report right now". Doesn't that answer your quesion?
Zaramnor

Post by Zaramnor »

No.

It is a yes-or-no question..."Are you working on Long War?"

If it's 'yes', it would be great. If it's 'no', I would be not great, but I would still be thankful for this answer.

But "there is nothing to report" perhaps would be the answer to "Would you please report the status of your work on Long War?" - that's not,what I asked for.
Andor

Post by Andor »

Which suggests that the short answer is "We haven't decided yet."

The long answer is possibly somewhere along the lines of "We're not doing it now, because we're working on our own stuff, and because it's too early to judge how the mod community is shaking out now that the whole engine has been opened up. It may be completely unnecessary for us to take a hand. But we don't want to say no, because you might all turn out to be a bunch of unimaginative slackers and we'll feel compelled to take a hand, and we don't want to say yes because if we do and then our mod is less cool than what others come up with we'll get scorned for that. It's a lose-lose scenario."

Or maybe the answer is "Yes, but it's an official DLC and we are under an NDA which would allow them to harvest our organs if we break it."

Or maybe they just like trolling fans?

Pick whichever one you want until they chime in.
grich117

Post by grich117 »

Andor wrote:Or maybe the answer is "Yes, but it's an official DLC and we are under an NDA which would allow them to harvest our organs if we break it."
You know, Firaxis is wanting to branch out their company...
marceror

Post by marceror »

johnnylump wrote:when we have something to announce, we'll announce it, but there just isn't anything to report right now.
Yep, this is a wonderfully evasive response to the question posed by the OP. If I asked my son if he had completed his homework, and he responded by saying when he has something to report he'll let me know, my son would surely find himself having a very bad day after that. I mean, seriously.

I'm sure it's not that johnnylump is incapable of providing a direct or meaningful response, so something is holding him back. He leaves those of us who care about a Long War 2 to speculate. Some good possibilities have already been offered in this thread as to why.

But yeah, every time he says it he seems less like a human being, and more like a... mind controlled alien slave?

:idea:
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

You do realize that there is no benefit and often the opposite to revealing information in an untimely fashion.

Furthermore you don't know what the various agreements that may be in place are, for all any of us knows LWS may be working entirely on a new game, XCom 3, an official Long War expansion for XCom 2, or all or none of the above.

More particularly, any, all, or none of those things may all be up for discussion. Not discussion for us, but for the LWS team with who knows how many other parties.
grich117

Post by grich117 »

jgbaxter wrote:You do realize that there is no benefit and often the opposite to revealing information in an untimely fashion.

Furthermore you don't know what the various agreements that may be in place are, for all any of us knows LWS may be working entirely on a new game, XCom 3, an official Long War expansion for XCom 2, or all or none of the above.

More particularly, any, all, or none of those things may all be up for discussion. Not discussion for us, but for the LWS team with who knows how many other parties.
They have already announced that they are working on a new game called Terra Invicta.
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

Sure, and absolutely nothing ever changes, ever. :D