Gameplay change (enemies squads)

For requests, ideas and general mod talk
kondenado

Gameplay change (enemies squads)

Post by kondenado »

Hi

I have been playing xCOM2 and long war 2 for quite a lot and I do relly like the game, but there is something that frustrates me a lot, that kills a lot of the fun and that in my personal opinion is a mechanic that should be changed.

I am pretty sure that everybody has experienced this situation; imagine that you are fighting some enemy squad, you move your soldier to flank one enemy and ... you find more enemies!!. Anyone else frustrated with this?

My main issue with this is that at the end of the day it becomes an extremely high penalty (you survival chances drops dramatically if this happens) for a movement that it is not "technically wrong". If you mess up - you make tactical mistakes - moving your soldiers I agree that you should have a penalty, but if you don´t see the enemies ... you did nothing wrong really. Too heavy punishment!

My personal guess is that this could be easily fixed by the following mechanism which is improving the "red square" mechanism of when you are concealed. For example:

"red square" --> detection range for hidden enemies.
"orange square" --> detection range for non-hidden enemies (*)
"yellow square" --> weapon/combat/special abilities range

Where the detection range for non-hidden enemies is larger than the weapon/combat range. I think that it is pretty realistic to assume that when you first see an enemy, you will be probably pretty far away, so I don't really think that it would be realistic to start shooting a - at least with accuracy - your chances of hitting should be very low!. My guess is that between the orange and yellow square it should be approximately one turn.

(*) additionally this will be more realistic on "extract the VIP" missions, where you usually lead the way with a shinobi to detect the enemies, so your squad can move without being detected. The issue, in this case, is that you don't really know when enemies will detect your squad. And this is annoying.