I'm changing Environment Maps (weather, night scenes look, etc.). Almost done but need help for last step

For technical discussions and help
Mazi

I'm changing Environment Maps (weather, night scenes look, etc.). Almost done but need help for last step

Post by Mazi »

So, i found in the Sdk folder various .Umap files who are related to the environment scene.

There are many of them, one for each different time condition (Es. Daytime\Desert or Nighttime\Tundra or Sunset\Slums).

You can modify a lot of parameters such as Fog of war colour, visibility, lightness, the colour of lightings while raining, the overall palette (for example the blue one you find on nights).

I'm trying to edit all of them in order to make more realistic nights and all different for each Biome or story mission. (For example, you can do a different looking night for Blacksite and generic Wilderness despite being the same Biome.)

The problem is, once i modified a .Umap, for example the one for Wilderness\Temperate nights (called Envlighting_Naturenight.Umap) i don't know how to override\replace the default one.

Any help?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: I'm changing Environment Maps (weather, night scenes look, etc.). Almost done but need help for last step

Post by johnnylump »

From Amineri

"I found that just having a .umap file of the same name in the mod causes it to override the base-game one"
Mazi

Re: I'm changing Environment Maps (weather, night scenes look, etc.). Almost done but need help for last step

Post by Mazi »

Thank you, it worked.

However, i noticed that ingame, while the environment stuff in the (lighting, colours, etc.) is correctly loeaded, the sky texture is missing, so the sky is pitch black.

I'm pretty sure this is related to something originally linked to the umap missing, in fact when i load the new .umap in editor i get a couple of "External reference" warnings.
I Guess it's the sky texture loaded in the materials folder\skyresource, where there are all the sky textures for every time of day.

I wonder if there is a way to duplicate the Umap with all the references included.....

or, another stuff i'd like to do, if is possible to simply replace the sky texture in the materials\skyfinal file. I can clearly see the textures i want to modify on content browser.

Damn, i have absolutely zero knowledge about modding, maybe it's time to surrend :(