On Strategic Game Rules

For technical discussions and help
eXecator

On Strategic Game Rules

Post by eXecator »

Hi,
Thanks for answering my last question. So here I am again asking stuff. I'd love to learn about how the games strategic rules engine works. For example, from the ini files I get the impression that mission selection and population works roughly like this:

(Source, Reward) -> MissionFamily -> Mission -> Schedule -> PrePlacedEncounters -> Encounter -> InExList -> Ayyyy :mrgreen:

At what place should I look to see the actual selection logic implemented? Are there unrealscript classes doing this, or is it Kizmet? What would be the best way to explore the wonderous world that is XCom2's codebase? I'm a bit spoiled by the comfortable features of VS in languages like C#, where i can just hit F12, jump to some classes definition and navigate through the project. 8-)

Cheers!
Amineri

Re: On Strategic Game Rules

Post by Amineri »

Missions and mission rewards are mostly a mix of Templates and configuration. For instance, all of the possible mission rewards are templates, so you could create a new possible reward by adding a new template (pretty easy), then adjusting config to make some missions use the new reward template as an option.

In the tactical mission, though, the control for the particular mission is generally handled by the Kismet for that mission type. That way things like camera pans, special events and such can be controlled.

I haven't completely figured out how all the mission stuff ties together, so apologies if some of this is a bit general.