Where to find tips/tutorials for replacing enemies in XCom?

For technical discussions and help
The Alcotroll

Where to find tips/tutorials for replacing enemies in XCom?

Post by The Alcotroll »

If I wanted to create a mod for Xcom2 which replaced alien opponents with Human ones (similar to the Hostile Territory mod on Steam, except with sound and all), where should I look for information and guidance?

I've some experience medding with the text-moddable files to change weapon stats, accuracy and the like, and I followed through the tutorial for using the SDK released for the game. I have no idea where to start with such a project, but clearly it must be possible, and probably some helpful soul has already written a tutorial for it- or that could point me in the right direction. I have looked numerous times but always drawn a blank.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Where to find tips/tutorials for replacing enemies in XCom?

Post by johnnylump »

I guess the first question is where you would get the human opponents? As in, Xcom soldier models or something else entirely?
The Alcotroll

Post by The Alcotroll »

Thanks for replying. I'd prefer to use Xcom models, but I noticed the Hostile Territories mod used the 1-piece civilian outfits, I assume to save on memory.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

So you can look in our AlienPack mod to see how to add new characters (enemies) to the game; our drone uses a custom model and textures, and our ADVENT troopers use remixes of existing ADVENT parts. The code is in X2Character_AlienPack. Config is GameData_CharactersStats.ini.

In terms of what appears on missions, you can work in two areas -- CharacterStats again, setting spawn weights (and zeroing out default characters you don't want to see), and missions.ini, where you can set up what pods appear on missions and exclude certain types.
The Alcotroll

Post by The Alcotroll »

Thanks. That would be the LongWar Alien pack mod, right?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Yep