Balancing Squad Size with Difficulty

Discussion of our XCOM 2 mods
GenVec

Balancing Squad Size with Difficulty

Post by GenVec »

Hi guys,

I downloaded Toolbox last week and was excited to use the new increased squad size feature. Previously I'd beat the game on classic (after a grueling campaign), so I turned the difficulty up to Legendary and gave myself the max number of soldiers, thinking it would still be a challenge.

I was wrong. Endless grenade spam and 10 attacks per turn mean that I can finish most missions without the aliens having a chance to fire back.

What are some possible solutions that would allow me to keep the max squad size and still be challenged? I'd found Longwar's X-Com:EW difficulty to be perfect, though I never managed to beat it on classic. Even with the 50% squad size increase on day 0 of that campaign, it still felt very well-balanced.

Are there any plans to release something that would potentially scale the difficulty to squad size? Or perhaps there are there other mods someone might suggest that double the alien pod size or, like original LW, give them increased HP and abilities?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Andor

Re: Balancing Squad Size with Difficulty

Post by Andor »

All the mods you suggest exist. The squad notoriety mod come at LWs fatigue from another angle. And the all pods alert mod will limit your ability to kill aliens before they act. I haven't tried either of them yet though so no promises.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Balancing Squad Size with Difficulty

Post by gimrah »

Play with A Better Advent (nastier enemies ) and Better Pods Plus (more enemies) and legend. Maybe more pods as well.

With 10 soldiers you should still be able to roll it but those will help.