Pure Virtual function being called while Application was running (GlsRunning ==1)

Discussion of our XCOM 2 mods
Olafr_the_Viking

Pure Virtual function being called while Application was running (GlsRunning ==1)

Post by Olafr_the_Viking »

XCOM2 is all about "Pure Virtual function being called while Application was running (GlsRunning ==1)" and then the game crashes lately, for me as well as a lot of other people (https://m.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/4q ... led_while/). Since I couldn't find entries on this subject in the LW forums, I decided to make a post about it here, to ensure that Long War Studios is aware of this matter.

It happens at the same point every time - just when the last turn of the very first Advent Haven Retaliation mission is completed and the mission report screen should appear, game crashes. I have tried uninstalling, re-downloading the base game, removing mods, changing mod manager from Steam Workshop to Nexus MM, and tried with fewer mods, but still the same issue every time. I have tried starting at least 5 new campaigns, and game crashes after first Haven Retaliation mission every time. The last attempt, I tried with only 5 Long War mods installed (LW Toolbox, LW Perk Pack, LW Laser Pack, LW SMG Pack, Muton Centurion Alien Pack), but still the exact same Pure Virtual crash at the exact same spot in my campaign happens (just before the mission report screen should have appeared on the end of the very first Advent Haven Retaliation mission). I have sent the error crash report to Firaxis. Game is broken and unplayable at the moment. Therefore I am begging, please, Firaxis and/or Long War Studios, make a patch that fixes this? Since this bug appears both with and without mods, it seems to be something wrong in the base game after the Shen's Last Gift DLC update, but I have seen a person affiliated with Firaxis in one forum saying something about it is the mod makers responsibilty to fix this, since it mainly happens in modded game modes. So I hope, by informing you guys at Long War Studios about this, that you can find out more about this (maybe in cooperation with Firaxis?) so that the game and the mods we all love, become playable again.

Thanks in advance for your attention and your help, and thank you for some absolutely awesome mods that make the gameplay even more incredible!

Olafr the Viking (blog: http://gamersparadiseolafr.tumblr.com/ Steam Curator: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/2 ... he-Viking/)
gbudiman

Re: Pure Virtual function being called while Application was running (GlsRunning ==1)

Post by gbudiman »

I have 33 crashes. 31 of those occurred right before mission completion or during evacuation of injured soldier.

Of those 31 crashes, I noticed that Pure virtual function crash happens only when I have injured soldier at the end of mission. It doesn't mean that having injured soldier will crash your game though. That being said, having full-hp team is the safest and surest way to avoid ctd.

I play with quadratic red-fog on both aliens and xcom.
Mordobb

Re: Pure Virtual function being called while Application was running (GlsRunning ==1)

Post by Mordobb »

My crashes occur at varied pointa.
But always related to an animation. (Most of the time during transition - begin End.
It never happens during combat.

I wouldn t be surprising if this is caused by some sound load, video load related to some lack of memory or paging memory altought i have 32GB of ram and a 3gb video cards.(780 GTX nvidea card, old 750 I7 chip 32gb 1600 RAM)
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

We are aware of this issue. So is Firaxis. We don't know the cause of this, or whether it's related to our mods. Red Fog still has some issues we're chasing so you may want to leave it turned off.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I finally got a save from one of our internal testers that seemed to replicate the issue, and I think I've got a fix/workaround for it. We'll be doing some testing internally to make sure it doesn't break other stuff, and if it doesn't should be an update out soon.
Mordobb

Post by Mordobb »

I m sure it won t help much. But here s the result i have for the so called "mod issue revealer alternative xcom launcher" Conflict found for 'UIArmory_MainMenu':
Long War Perk Pack
* Long War Leader Pack
* Long War Perk Pack
* Long War Toolbox

Conflict found for 'UISquadSelect':
Long War Toolbox
Long War Leader Pack

* (These mods use UIScreenListeners, meaning they do not conflict with each other)

Also i have a bugged save right now, should i sen t it to you is so to what adress.
greaser83

Post by greaser83 »

Some one in the thread said a bit about injured characters contributed to this crash. So, in a mission I called the skyranger early to have the only inured team mate exit, sure enough, this crash happened.
greaser83

Post by greaser83 »

I save scummed the same mission I am speaking about above. No injured soldiers, the mission ended fine. Although, the next part of the game that happened after the mission was Shen's last gift animation. I know nothing of programming, so I have no idea if that is a coincidence or not. Just thought I would mention it. Thanks everyone.
chopsnsauce

Post by chopsnsauce »

Amineri wrote:I finally got a save from one of our internal testers that seemed to replicate the issue, and I think I've got a fix/workaround for it. We'll be doing some testing internally to make sure it doesn't break other stuff, and if it doesn't should be an update out soon.
Any word on this yet? Currently stuck with a borked mission I can't complete.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

We think we've got it. We're still testing an additional fix to Toolbox, but we hope to have it updated shortly. However, by itself, we don't think it will fix existing tactical saves -- the damage has been done, essentially. The workaround (which should work with the release version of TB) is to turn Red Fog off and on a couple of times, saving the changes to options each time.
chopsnsauce

Post by chopsnsauce »

johnnylump wrote:We think we've got it. We're still testing an additional fix to Toolbox, but we hope to have it updated shortly. However, by itself, we don't think it will fix existing tactical saves -- the damage has been done, essentially. The workaround (which should work with the release version of TB) is to turn Red Fog of and on a couple of times, saving the changes to options each time.
Thanks.
darkflame304

Post by darkflame304 »

johnnylump wrote:We think we've got it. We're still testing an additional fix to Toolbox, but we hope to have it updated shortly. However, by itself, we don't think it will fix existing tactical saves -- the damage has been done, essentially. The workaround (which should work with the release version of TB) is to turn Red Fog of and on a couple of times, saving the changes to options each time.
I tried using the workaround but it didn't work. I turned RF on and off like 5 times but the game crashed after my 2nd mission ended when I had two injured (not dead) soldiers. The mode was ironman commander.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

You might try turning off Red Fog entirely.
darkflame304

Post by darkflame304 »

I'll try that, thanks. Do you know that Red Fog is the problem for sure? And if so, is there a hesitant date for an update? p.s. you guys are awesome and I love your mods
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Red Fog is the only part of the mod we've been able to reproduce the Pure Virtual errors with. That doesn't preclude it being caused by other things -- multiple things *can* cause it (throughout the XCOM 2 ecology), and it is poorly understood by everybody, including Firaxis.

In terms of release date for the update -- we think it's close. Can't be any more specific than that -- we don't really set dates for bugfixes ahead of time; we send it out when we're satisfied it's ready and I have an hour to handle everything that goes with putting out a new version.
Vyrnas

Post by Vyrnas »

I have no evidence of my own experience with this bug, as it's only happened to me once, but it happened to me on the strategic layer, around the same time the other gamebreaking issue I have with XCOM 2 triggered, which is when I initiate scanning on the strategy layer.

As Johnny said, since many things can cause it, this one-off issue likely isn't related, but just in case it is, I thought I'd mention it.
Bronstet

Post by Bronstet »

First, thanks for all the hard work on the mods and trying to solve this problem. Last night I found that two new SPARKS related mods --- Custom Sparks Class and EW LW MEV as Sparks -- set off the virtual error immediately during any cutscenes including the intro and the mission summary screen. This was the first time the error happened to me outside of tactical.

I have since removed those two mods and implemented your quick workaround above and have to date not crashed in tactical yet but I have also not come across any DLC yet so we will see. Hope this helps.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

We put our updates to TB up on Workshop and Nexus; hopefully they take care of this.
Olafr_the_Viking

After Summer Vacations, I am reading through the different threads on the XCOM2 Pure Virtual crash bug. And it seems Long War Studios has launched an update that fixes this today (see above in this thread), and that the Long War Toolbox mod option "Red Fog" may have been one of the culprits.

Thank you so much, awesome Long War Studios, for your incredible mods and your dedication! (It is interesting to compare the attitude shown by Long War Studios in this thread trying to fix this, with the complete silence from Firaxis on the same crash bug, by the way).

Again, thanks LWS! Keep up the good work! Now I am off to download the update from Nexus.

Olafr the Viking (http://gamersparadiseolafr.tumblr.com/)
Perperino

Post by Perperino »

I'm getting this error after updating toolbox to v7. When I try to enter the "edit option" menu from my existing savegame, it crashes. If I start a new campaing, everything works. But my old savegame is corrupted now.. I can load it but the squad size has been reseted to default, and I can't go to the options to change it. It crashed when I click the edit option button. All other gui buttons from the toolkit seems to work. Any ideas?
Thicondrius

Post by Thicondrius »

Olafr_the_Viking wrote:After Summer Vacations, I am reading through the different threads on the XCOM2 Pure Virtual crash bug. And it seems Long War Studios has launched an update that fixes this today (see above in this thread), and that the Long War Toolbox mod option "Red Fog" may have been one of the culprits.

Thank you so much, awesome Long War Studios, for your incredible mods and your dedication! (It is interesting to compare the attitude shown by Long War Studios in this thread trying to fix this, with the complete silence from Firaxis on the same crash bug, by the way).

Again, thanks LWS! Keep up the good work! Now I am off to download the update from Nexus.

sry i don't see any download or other info pls tell me where i can find something
Olafr_the_Viking

YES!!! I was able to complete the ADVENT retaliation mission without encountering the Pure Virtual crash bug that has haunted my modded XCOM2 game for the last month. Thank you, Long War Studios, for fixing this bug!
Perperino wrote:I'm getting this error after updating toolbox to v7. When I try to enter the "edit option" menu from my existing savegame, it crashes. If I start a new campaing, everything works. But my old savegame is corrupted now.. I can load it but the squad size has been reseted to default, and I can't go to the options to change it. It crashed when I click the edit option button. All other gui buttons from the toolkit seems to work. Any ideas?
I guess you will have to start a new campaign, Perperino. Many mods, especially With such nasty crash bugs involved, will usually corrupt savegames.
Thicondrius wrote:
sry i don't see any download or other info pls tell me where i can find something
[/quote]

You find Version 7 of the Long War ToolBox mod at Nexusmods (dot) com. (you will need to download Nexus mod manager and re-install all other mods through Nexus to be able to use it)

johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Thanks for the feedback -- always good to hear something is working (cause usually no news is good news)
Siven80

Post by Siven80 »

Got this error for the very first time today when trying to load my save game after LW Alien pack was updated.

Whether its related, i honestly couldnt say, but coincidence?

Gonna try a new campaign now :/
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Can you be more specific? Was it a tactical save or a strat save? Did you previously have the Centurion mod installed for that campaign? Was there possibly a Centurion on that particular mission if it was a tac save? Did you run troubleshooting steps like cleaning ini files? Do you have a bunch of other mods loaded? What DLC are you running with?