help - XCOM 2 freezes at Forge mission w/ LW mods

Discussion of our XCOM 2 mods
Quiet_Lurker

help - XCOM 2 freezes at Forge mission w/ LW mods

Post by Quiet_Lurker »

Hi. I'm looking for some advice/help about XCOM 2 freezing when I'm starting the Advent Forge mission, with the four Long War mods running. Specifically, after loading out my squad, reaching the location, and seeing the "squad piles out of the Skyranger" cut scene, instead of starting the tactical game, the screen is just black. I can see the cursor (shaped like normal for the game) and can hear the background sounds, but can't access any game menus. I can't alt-tab to another program or the Task Manager, or close the game -- I have to reboot the computer.

I've deleted the game and reinstalled. I've unsubscribed from the mods, deleted the config files, and resubscribed. The error happens exactly the same way after each fix.

I'm running the game on a Windows 8.1 desktop on Veteran difficulty, with the Long War Toolbox, SMG, Leader, and Muton Centurion mods active. I've increased the squad size by 3.

Any suggestions? I haven't found other complaints of this problem, although there seems to be other bug reports about the Forge mission hanging. Thanks!
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: help - XCOM 2 freezes at Forge mission w/ LW mods

Post by johnnylump »

We have a number of fixes for Toolbox that we're currently testing (particularly in Hidden Potential and Red Fog), so if it is any of our mods causing the problem, it is most likely that one. I would recommend turning those off for the time being.

Beyond that, if you would like to send us the file

C:\Users\YOUR NAME HERE\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Logs\Launch.Log we can take a look. Make sure you grab this file immediately after a crash -- if you start a new game session and don't crash, the file won't contain any useful data.

I think we have attachments working on this forum, so you can try here, or else email it as an attachment to the LWS contact email posted elsewhere on this site. Thanks!
Quiet_Lurker

Post by Quiet_Lurker »

I was unable to attach the Launch.log file here (told me it had an "invalid file extension"). I'll email it to johnnylump@longwarstudios.com. I'll also include the save file.

Thanks for the advice. I'll update this post on whether it worked or not.
Quiet_Lurker

Post by Quiet_Lurker »

Turning off the Long War Toolbox got me past the game freeze, as JohnnyLump recommended. He said they didn't have the same problem working with the config and save files when they tried to replicate it, but said that might be due to the improvements in the (yet) unreleased version of that mod, which they hope to get out soon.

(However, that game proved unstable when the new "Shen's Last Gift" DLC downloaded today...)
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

By the way, we put out the Toolbox patch yesterday, and updated today for vanilla patch 6.