Long War Mods and WotC

Discussion of our XCOM 2 mods
Grimagor

Long War Mods and WotC

Post by Grimagor »

We will see an adaptation of those mods (Laser, Alien, Class,...) with WotC?

Thanks in advance!
Cloista

Re: Long War Mods and WotC

Post by Cloista »

Unfortunately it seems doubtful which is a pity.

Would love to see the full LW2 classes and both LW2 weapon tiers (laser and coil) done for WOTC for us to use while they update the main mod (which I'm hoping they plan to).
Grimagor

Post by Grimagor »

I really love to see LW 2 in WotC.
But I prefer to think now in the others LW Mods and I am really worried for the class mod and alien mod. The other day I try to "get used" to play XCOM 2 without Long War 2 but I really enjoy class mod and the new enemies.

That's the reason of my question :(
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Keeping in mind that Pavonis explicitly has "nothing to announce regarding LW2 in WOTC," I think it's fair to make the following assumptions:

1) They will eventually release a version of LW2 that is WOTC-compatible. It may take a year or more after WOTC's release, mind you, but I fully expect it will come, in time.

2) Given that such a compatibility will eventually come, it seems logical to make these standalone mods compatible with WTOC first - if the full-size LW2 mod is just these standalones combined (plus more,) then this is work that would need to be done anyway. May as well do it on the standalones and then combine the new WOTC-compatible standalones together to make a WOTC-compatible LW2. Then make any bits that aren't in these standalones compatible, as required.

So it's not out of the question that these individual mods would be upgraded to work with WTOC, but again, it will probably take some time. I wouldn't count on them being released alongside the WOTC expansion, or even within a couple months.
cerebrawl

Post by cerebrawl »

Steve-O wrote:Keeping in mind that Pavonis explicitly has "nothing to announce regarding LW2 in WOTC," I think it's fair to make the following assumptions:

1) They will eventually release a version of LW2 that is WOTC-compatible. It may take a year or more after WOTC's release, mind you, but I fully expect it will come, in time.

2) Given that such a compatibility will eventually come, it seems logical to make these standalone mods compatible with WTOC first - if the full-size LW2 mod is just these standalones combined (plus more,) then this is work that would need to be done anyway. May as well do it on the standalones and then combine the new WOTC-compatible standalones together to make a WOTC-compatible LW2. Then make any bits that aren't in these standalones compatible, as required.

So it's not out of the question that these individual mods would be upgraded to work with WTOC, but again, it will probably take some time. I wouldn't count on them being released alongside the WOTC expansion, or even within a couple months.
I don't think the stand-alone mods require all that much work, some basically just need to be recompiled with the updated modbuddy. Someone has already done an unofficial fan conversion of the SMG mod to WotC. That same someone has ported over the laser weapons as a stand-alone mod too.

The thing that would really take time is incorporating all the new wotc features into the long war total conversion... balancing out the Chosen and their knowledge gain, covert OPs, etc.